light sensitve alarm

arun the curious

Joined Aug 6, 2012
need some help in creating a light sensitive wakeup alarm...
already created a circuit(from the book electonics for dummies) but speaker isnt responding apart from a pop sound initially while giving connections
also iam not sure about speaker's rating...The circuits says a 8 ohm 1W speaker but nothing is marked in my speakers...:confused:

jgunn

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Hmm, that's not a lot to go on for someone to help troubleshoot.

- Can you post a schematic?
- Are you sure you wired everything properly?

Where did you get the speaker? Even if it's not an exact match, it should be doing something if your circuit is wired correctly. If it's way too big of a load, the output might be quiet, and if the speaker were undersized you might blow it, but if you're getting a pop when you connect it, the voice coil is still moving.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The circuit

IC1: LM555 Timer IC
_ Q1: 2N3906 PNP transistor
_ R1: 100K potentiometer
_ R2: 3.9 Kohm resistor
_ R3: 10 Kohm resistor
_ R4: 47 Kohm resistor
_ C1, C3: 0.01-⎧F disc (non-polarized) capacitor
_ C2: 1.0-⎧F electrolytic or tantalum (polarized) capacitor
_ Speaker: 8-ohm, 0.5-watt speaker

Attachments

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
If you connect a wire from pin 4 of 555 to pin 8, do you hear a tone?
What's the voltage on V+ ?

Allen

arun the curious

Joined Aug 6, 2012
do u mean connecting 4 and 8(shorting them with a jumper) or is it as shown int he schematic....
i have applied 9v as the Vcc(using standard battery)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. When pin 4 is at low voltage, the chip will not run. Connect pin 4 to +9 volts to put it in "run" mode.

Attachments

arun the curious

Joined Aug 6, 2012
ah...finally it worked...but iam hearing only a single freq sound, how can i change its freq...can anybody suggest any modifications in design..?

arun the curious

Joined Aug 6, 2012
a pot cant we connect in the normal way...taking wires from one end pin and the middle pin...why short mid pin with one end pin?
and what ohm rating pot is to be used....can i get a police siren from this circuit...?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...why short mid pin with one end pin?
When the pot slider temporarily loses contact with the resistive material track, the circuit sees a suddenly very high "open" resistance. Connecting the slider to the opposite pole ensures that the maximum resistance in this situation is the nominal resistance of the pot. So connecting the opposite pole is a way to stabilize the output. Somewhat optional, but good form. Something you always do unless you have a reason not to. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are only 2 places that R4 connects to. Where would you connect the third terminal of a potentiometer?

The pot would be labeled as 50 K ohms to replace the 47 K ohm R4.

No, this is not a police siren design. That would require another 555 chip to make a controller for this single frequency oscillator design.

arun the curious

Joined Aug 6, 2012
thank u guys for the reply...
is it necessary that all terminals of pot shud be employed cant we use 1 end pin and i mid pin....and there isnt any sliding arrangement in pots...now did u mean a rheostat?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Two Hall effect sensors detect the position of the adjustable magnetic shaft and a microprocessor outputs a resistance value. :D