Light-emitting diode hole creator

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I am wondered so much if there is ever an instrument (like a puncher for paper) that creates a hole for LED so that I could put the LED in that hole. i see dot matrix but unsure.

pls. help.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Yes, they are often called hand punches; Roper-Whitney is one US manufacturer, but there are no doubt cheap Chinese versions available. I have an old no-name one I bought about 35-40 years ago and it has served me well.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If I wanted to make evenly spaced holes like a matrix in plastic, wood, metal, whatever, I would first draw the grid. Anywhere the lines Cross, I would use a punch and hammer to make a small dent there exactly on the cross. If you don't have a punch, use a nail (tap softly to prevent splitting). Then drill through the holes with a dill bit the same size as the LED. The dents help center the drill bit.

Edit: Just thought, you might not have a drill. In that case, what I used to do when I was a kid is use a knife. you want one with a pointy end. put the tip of the knife on the cross and turn the knife in circles. take your time, don't press too hard, go in circles. if you push too hard, the knife will go straight through and make a straight hole instead of a round one. stop when the hole is the size of an LED. Don't put any part of your body on the other side. *using knives is dangerous*

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They make manual drills that your folks may let you use. You might also ask your dad to teach you to use a electric one. You strike me as old enough, but some parents have different ideas of that. Doesn't hurt to ask though.