light dimmer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by sasek, Apr 7, 2010.

1. sasek

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    hai all,

problem here is i want design a circuit of light dimmer. the concept i want to use is to control the light dimmer using pwm. could i do that??? if yes pls help me to find the basic concept to design the driver to read pwm signal then control the light. thanks 4 reading :)

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes. Look below at similar threads. More information would help, V,I,W, application, type of control, type of light" bulb ".

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Are you talking about controlling the intensity of LEDs or incandescent lamps being powered by a low voltage DC supply? If so, then yes; PWM is a good way to go.

If you are talking about mains AC powered lamps, then PWM is not the way to go.

Projects that are powered directly by the mains are not something suitable for beginners in electronics.

sasek likes this.
  4. sasek

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    is it posible if i use triac opthocoupler and give pwm to input opthocoupler

5. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Using PWM on AC powered TRIAC will result in either ON or OFF[ 0% duty] as once triggered TRIAC will conduct a full half cycle, just to be triggered again on other half. Just buy commercial dimmer.

sasek likes this.
  6. sasek

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    thanks Bernard it very help me,

before this i have try with LDR optocoupler and the result is same like u said, is it all optocoupler like that????.

7. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    It is the signal driving the opto-coupler that makes the difference.

8. sasek

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    yes, i use pwm to drive the optocoupler. i try using moc3011 and moc3020