light and small 9V battery for project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by count_volta, Jan 18, 2013.

1. count_volta

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I am looking for a battery that has either 9V or a voltage that I can connect in series to make 9V. My load will draw about 150mA, but I would like to be on the safe side and have the battery discharge current be at least 200mA.

Here is the tricky part. This battery will go on a medium RC helicopter to power electronic sensors for a robot I'm making.

I am guessing on this and will know more details after the helicopter actually arrives and I do some weight tests, but the weight of the battery (or batteries in series) should be about 20 grams at the most.

I don't care if its a primary cell or secondary cell as long as its not ridiculously expensive.

Does such a battery exist?

Thank you
  2. SPQR

Nov 4, 2011
    Check out and you'll see that a single alkaline AA battery weighs 24 grams.
    An alkaline long life AAA has 1120 mA hours. gives the weights of a huge number of batteries. gives hearing aid battery weights, and their low mAh.

You may have to readjust your criteria.
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Try taking apart a busted iPod or similar. They contain some awesome flat batteries.
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Go to you local hobby store that sells parts for R/C airplanes. The Lithium-polymer batteries allow sizes that are amazingly small vs. 10 - 15 years ago.
  5. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    The Li-Po 7.4V (8.4V when fully charged) 180mAh battery for my RC electric model airplanes weighs 11 grams. A 200mAh battery weighs 13 grams.

3.7V (4.2V when fully charged) 150mAh Li-Po cells weigh 4.15 grams each. Add the weight of connectors.