Light activated switch- replace with momentary switch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mudhutbob, Oct 30, 2015.

1. mudhutbob

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Greetings,
    I am making a music box and the music playing module is activated by light. I would like to replace the small light activated switch with a regular on/off switch. Is this possible and do I just replace the LOS with a 12v switch? The unit runs on AA batteries. If the switch install wouldn't work... do you think an LED board connected to an on/off switch would work since the music module is light activated? It seems simple enough but I can afford to burn out the module. Mom would kill me. Many thanks...

Bob

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Is the music electronic or motor driven?

3. mudhutbob

Oct 29, 2015
    The advertisement says it is a digital music player that runs on batteries. I don't think it is motor driven but it hasn't arrived yet so not positive.

4. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    If the light sensor is a cadmium-sulphide cell, then probably not; they are not very sensitive to monochromatic light. Maybe with a very bright white LED...

With some close-up pictures (and fine soldering skills on your part), it should be possible to determine where to make some changes.

ak

5. mudhutbob

Oct 29, 2015
    The advertisement says it is a digital music player that runs on batteries. I don't think it is motor driven but it hasn't arrived yet so not po
    It should be here in a few days and I will take some pics then. Would manually connecting an on/off switch to the light sensor leads cause anything to burn up? I assume it would complete the circuit but not quite sure. I can build an LED board and test that too. Just can't afford to replace the music player.

6. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    If it a CDS cell, it will have a minimum ON resistance that the rest of the circuit might rely on for current limiting of something. If it is a photo transistor, then shorting its location with a switch has a higher probability of not burning up something.

ak

7. mudhutbob

Oct 29, 2015
    Hello again,
    My music box arrived today and this is what the light sensor looks like. I didn't want to do anything until I heard back but installing a switch in place of the light sensor would be ideal. The sensor works very good so if it is better to just install an LED above the player I will do that. Thanks

Bob

IMG_7671 (Large).JPG

8. mudhutbob

Oct 29, 2015
    So... after further research it looks like replacing the cadmium-sulphide cell isn't recommended so I will be using an LED to turn on the music player. I am concerned that running the high speed hobby motor (9v) and also the 3 light LED module (12v) with the same 9 volt battery will wear out the battery too quickly. Basically.... I want to push a momentary switch that will run a 9v motor that spins an object and that also turns on the LED light module so it will run the light activated music player. Is there a way to run each component off a separate 9v battery but have them connected to the same momentary switch? Is there a better way to make this work using a different setup? The more I research the more confused I get. Many thanks

Bob