Lifting a hook with a selenoid actuator

What is the best solution to rotate a hook?

• Robotics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adina

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Hi there,

I need to make the hook in the image to lift automatically for placing in the position of clamping tray. Now this operation is done manual. The polymer hooks are used just to catch the tray not to sustain the weight of it. It is hard to manually rotate the hooks for fixing on the tray when the forks are at a height of 2m. So i think that if I will use a solenoid actuator with 12V will be enough, this solenoid i will catch on the gall chain. I'm not an expert on electrical drivers so please if you have a better idea (I don't think mine is good) or some tips for me I'll be more then happy. I'm thinking also on replacing those hooks with a gripper hand...any idea on what to use?

Thank you,
Adina

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I think a push-pull solenoid or air cylinder is perfect for that application..
Motor would be fine too I guess but a solenoid is much easier IMO.. No worry about speed/positional control,etc...

Adina

Joined Mar 24, 2015
I think a push-pull solenoid or air cylinder is perfect for that application..
Motor would be fine too I guess but a solenoid is much easier IMO.. No worry about speed/positional control,etc...
Thank you, but what do you mean by "No worry about speed/positional control"? I have to choose the right solenoid actuator...but I really don't know what to choose, probably a DC 12V 1A Pull Type Electric Actuator Solenoid Coil? Is the smallest one?
I can't use a pneumatic cylinder because the stacker is hydraulic and electrical...if I will put also some pneumatics will be to much :)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A video would help. My take: Hooks semi free to rotate allowing a sliding tray to push up outer hook locking tray in position. Hook rotates about 90 deg causing inner hooks to engage lip of tray, lifting tray a few cm. Gall chain then draws tray down the roller track ??

Adina

Joined Mar 24, 2015
A video would help. My take: Hooks semi free to rotate allowing a sliding tray to push up outer hook locking tray in position. Hook rotates about 90 deg causing inner hooks to engage lip of tray, lifting tray a few cm. Gall chain then draws tray down the roller track ??
Yes Bernard, you are right. I've attached some images from my project. I've attached the solenoid actuator to the hooks.
upload_2015-3-25_18-28-15.jpeg

upload_2015-3-25_18-28-26.jpeg

upload_2015-3-25_18-28-38.jpeg

upload_2015-3-25_18-28-46.jpeg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You would need to use an offset crank from solenoid to shaft instead of the central pivot point you have.
Otherwise it looks like it could work.
Solenoid effort value would be required
Max.

Adina

Joined Mar 24, 2015
You would need to use an offset crank from solenoid to shaft instead of the central pivot point you have.
Otherwise it looks like it could work.
Solenoid effort value would be required
Max.
Hi Max,

If it's not to much could you, please, send me a sketch...it is not so clear your replay.

Many thanks,
Adina

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I just wondered how you intend to get rotary motion from your drawing, I would think you need a class 1 lever, this would mean the rear end of the solenoid would need to be pivoted, the solenoid arm would be connected to a short arm perpendicular to the tray hook rod.
Max.

Adina

Joined Mar 24, 2015
I just wondered how you intend to get rotary motion from your drawing, I would think you need a class 1 lever, this would mean the rear end of the solenoid would need to be pivoted, the solenoid arm would be connected to a short arm perpendicular to the tray hook rod.
Max.
I understand you....but watch this video (
) ...of course is not the same situation but I think it would work also on my application.

Adina

Joined Mar 24, 2015
And..of course...my hook coming from solenoid actuator is not correct...in my situation the solenoid will try to pull the axle, not rotating it at 90 degrees. :). I must redesign the hook.