Life is too short do see your family and friends now

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Dec 24, 2012.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I just got a phone call from one of my best and oldest friends (as an adult). Her husband just died. I knew him through her but he came to be a very good friend too.

I just saw him last night. We had our usual holiday get together. Just the three of us (I am single and unattached). I had to work this morning and considered calling our get together off for later in the week (I'm off all week).
    I am so glad now I decided to meet.

He was just fine last night. Just complaining that he was cold. They think he died of a heart attack.

So don't put off that meeting with your friends and family any longer. You never know when they may no longer be around.

What a lousy Christmas present.
    DerStrom8 likes this.
  2. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Know exactly what you mean...Lost my
    father-in-law a few days ago.
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I am really sorry to hear. I send my condolences to you both.
    DerStrom8 and gerty like this.
  4. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I think a law should be passed that says loved ones are not permitted to pass within 2 weeks of the holidays.
  5. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    I agree, my mother-in-law passed away on the 4th of july. That was 7 years ago..
  6. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Maybe for days like an Independence day we would just not allow the day of. But for bigger holidays like Christmas and Hanukkah passing must take place at least 2 weeks before or one week after.

Actually I like to see my family and friends not go at all. At least not for a really long time.
  7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    That's just too bad. My condolences to both of you.

And I agree about seeing family and friends. Or at least give them a call now and then, if distance is too long.
  8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Another thing I have learned is always treat your friends and family though it may be the last time you see them. Do not separate angry with each other. You truly do not want that on your memories, if it was.
  9. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    My parents had a rule to never got to bed fighting. After 50+ years of marriage, they are still in love.

We often say things we don't mean to our loved ones. As it is said "We only hurt the ones we love" .

My friend (the surviving counterpart) has issues with that very issue. She was not very nice to him just before he died (she often wasn't). Now she needs to deal with it.

But I can be the same way. I often get in a bad mood and take it out on those she loves. This experience really made me think and I am going to try and change.
  10. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Sorry its rough, I've lost 4 people this year. Father, Uncle, Brother, and friend.
  11. SPQR

Nov 4, 2011
    Money is important in life - you need to eat, have shelter, do the things you like.
    But the most important thing in life is time - time with friends, family, doing the things you love.

I speak from experience.
    Far more experience than any human deserves.

I wish you all the best.
  12. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    My condolences to all of you who have lost loved ones. :(
    I fortunately have not lost anyone recently, but had a real scare when we had to take my mother to the ER on christmas eve.
  13. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    My condolences, Max.