Life Beyond The Keyboard

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by loosewire, Jul 21, 2009.

1. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Is there life beyond the keyboard,I searching to answer this
    question. This Is a mission sorta like planning a trip to Mar's.
    Should man venture beyond the safety of the keyboard,what
    or who would he find, maybe Thinkmaker3 he out there some
    where to enjoy life. Should we seek this mission what would
    we find or Is all creation going to be on the keyboard.

2. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    I know what you mean it seems like more and more things in this world are done at the computer. Kids go to school online. People talk online. People work online.

I dare to venture outside the keyboard and take pictures of buildings and nature. The computer can never replace nature. Go on hikes in the mountains. Do not take your computer. Its very fun.

3. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm leaving the keyboard behind next week - in search of a nice beach and the company of friends / family.

4. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    I was not thinking about the lap top,that make the subject
    different. This Is a fast typer's world with lap top's and
    texting.When do people have a chance to think with a
    machine with them all the time.Look at the train accidents
    and texting. I think we have thread of member that know one another
    from job's,school and other connection's that stay In touch other than
    forum.

5. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Tnk, good for you ,enjoy your vacation.Thank's for the comment.

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks Loosewire - I appreciate your kind thought!

7. bluesguitar03

Jul 19, 2008
    I lived in my tent for 2 weeks (by choice) a few weeks ago. I still kept work both of my jobs but when I left in the afternoon/evening and went "home", I didn't even have cell service (also by choice). I read, hiked, chopped wood and did nothing. It was amazing.

Highly recommended for a while! Might possibly even do it again before the summer is over.

8. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    If you could pick a acc commune where would It be ,can you see all these guy's
    on a mountain Inventing the rock.

9. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    I spent five days a couple of weeks ago in Olympic National Park, in Washington state. A good friend of mine and I have been doing trips into the interior of the park for 11 years now. We took a cell phone one time, but the mountainous nature of the park obscures almost all line-of-sight access to cell towers, so it's just about impossible to make a call.

All we took with us was our food, sleeping bags and pads, tent (me - I don't like having bugs gnaw on me at night), raingear and clothes, first aid kit, and some miscellaneous stuff. No electronic devices of any type.

We saw our usual quota of wildlife--five bears (we always see bears), elk, deer, a grouse. We saw a good portion of two wild rivers--one fork of the Quinault, and the Duckabush--and walked on nearly 50 miles of trail, going from about 500' in elevation up to 5000' and back down again.

Good trip.

10. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    Yep, I know what ya'll mean. Sometimes I'm too absorbed on the computer or reading books...and when I just sit still for a couple minutes I am almost in shock. I need to be constantly doing something, but I never stop to simply think about think long enough about different things. When I realized that I needed to do this, I imagined myself lying down on our mountain on the grass gazing up at the sky or at the busy civilization below me just thinking. What would I think about? Well, sometimes I practice math in my head, or I can think about life and my purpose and other mysteries. Or, I can exersize my imagination by glancing at an object really quick and then closing my eyes trying to picture the image in my head (if I saw a road with cars, how many cars? What colors were they? etc.). By practice, I would try to make the image as vivid as I possibly could. In addition to that, I can imagine myself in different places doing wonderful things for others. Although I will focus on doing more of these things, I won't forget to read. I especially like reading when it's night time and everyone else is asleep; and also hearing the pattering of rain drops upon my roof. People nowdays are too busy...take some time to think.

11. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Sounds like perfection :)

I love doing a bit of camping/hiking/scrambling in the middle of nowhere living on nothing more than basic food and beer. And all without technology of any kind.

Dave

12. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    We were too far from anywhere to carry beer, plus we were next to a one river or another most of the time, so water is what we drank.

One thing I've gotten in the habit of bringing along is Miso, a kind of soup made from fermented soybeans. Kikkoman makes instant soup packs in three different flavors. They really hit the spot after a long day of walking, and help get some salt back into your body. Even my hiking buddy, who's not big on Japanese food, likes them.

13. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Oh we don't carry the beer, we find inns along the way - we plan it into the walk, which is easy because even in desolate places of the UK there are stop-off inns. The UK is that small that you're never too far from an inn!

Yeah, I've heard of Miso - I'll have a look into it. We have a mini-burner which we cook up cous-cous on which we mix in a tomato sauce. Quite tasty and filling. I got to be careful since my missus is a veggie with a nut allergy so sorting food for her is a challenge at the best of times!

Dave

14. SigmaCeq

Jul 30, 2009
    Miso soup is quite delicious! Of course I am based by the fact that I love all things Japan. =)

I have been wanted to go camping for a long time now. You all have inspired me to get on the planning!