LF357 help reqd

kahafeez

Joined Dec 2, 2008
Hi all, i need to know that which chip can i use to amplify a signal of 16.6MHz???? i used this IC called LF357 which has a bandwidth of 20MHz.... its supposed to amplify a signal of 16MHz....

it did amplify the signal bt reduced the signals freq to almost like 7MHz which i'm unable to understand why..... i used the schematic attached..... the input was a 1.4V, 16MHz sine wave which was clamped to 1V.... meaning the lower peak was at 1V and the upper peak was at 2.4V

so i wz wondering where the problem lies.... like is there any problem with the design or is the IC unable to deal with the freq??? plz suggest something....

incase the IC is incapable then do suggest me a few part numbers that are most likely to be found in the local market.... as i live in Pakistan.... the part numbers that are used in VCRs, Cassette Players are easily available and the stuff that isnt used in these items is hard to find....

Attachments

kahafeez

Joined Dec 2, 2008
Thanks Bertus, now i'll call the shops and ask if this is available or not.....

this is the biggest problem.... if i get it i'll try it and post the results....

kahafeez

Joined Dec 2, 2008
Hey Bertus, couldnt find any of the ICz u suggested :(

can u plz suggest a few more that are likely to be found......

question: actually bandwidth is the difference between the lower critical freq and higher critical freq bt i never find them on the datasheet..... does that mean that the lower critical freq is 0Hz ???? plz clarify...

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
A bandwidth of 20MHz means that the open loop gain of the amplifier drops to 1 at 20MHz. Use the frequency response of the op amp to see what will be the gain at 16.6 MHz (not much thought).