LF: a circuit schematic to regulate a very high DC Volt input

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
Can someone please tell me how i can regulate a high DC volt output from a device while keeping the current stable/constant while under load. I have a wind turbine that can produce over 350VDC @ 2000 RPM. I need a circuit that can regulate what ever voltage it is putting out and keeping the current stable or constant @ the same time.So whatever current it is producing when the battery starts to charge it doesn't pull it down. Say for example it is producing 10amp at a given point is that amount the battery will be receiving or close to that hence faster battery charge time. The problem is that i have a regulator circuit but it has a limit on the amount of VDC it can regulate with a input of 18VDC to about 38VDC i think cause thats all the IC can manage.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
At 350V you propably want to look into switch mode power supplies to keep the effeciency high and the size of the regulator low. A linear regulator is likely to be quite huge at these power levels.

Using a SMPS as a "regulator" means that the voltage input can fluctuate alot without affecting the output considderably if well designed.