Level of equivelancy question.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Bill,
What level of educational equavalance would you predict the study of the AAC texts to provide? I am assuming:

1. A student read the entire text and studied each concept completely and gained full understanding of the information that has been presented.

2. Additional study materials such as encyclopedias and mathematics texts are employed to insure the student fully grasped the concepts and mathematical equations.

Upon completion of the entire text and all accompanying experiments would you compare the level of knowledge to that of an Associates or Bachelors degree or to some other level of education? Quantifying levels of education is difficult since students learn and retain material at different rates and with different results. A numeric grade level is nearly impossible to assign without some form of abrbritrary testing to sample a students retained knowledge and their ability to recall and use the information within a structured environment and does not address the individual students ability to solve abstract or complex questions in a more loosely controlled field type of situation.

Bob

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Durn if I know, I help with a very small part, mostly filling holes.

Since the original author is a professor (I think), Tony R. Kuphaldt, I suspect it is a college level course. I know it is used as such by schools in India and other similar countries. There have been attempts to steal it, but being on the web as it is they get mocked rather quickly.

If you want to see the reference book, Lessons in Electric Circuits, it is here. I would bookmark it.

http://www.openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/

I think the book is a bit light on some material, but deep in other ways. If it were complete and hard copy I would keep it as a reference book. In some ways you could ask the same question about an encyclopedia.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Bill and Bertus,
Thank you for the quick replies. I was asking the question as a comparison essentially. I was premising the question as if I was interviewing a college grad and a self taught student for a position with a developement firm. Obviously the succesfull applcant would need to demonstrate his or her ability, and other atributes. I tend to hire self taught more often than not because they often have a more rounded skill set that may lend itself to other tasks and projects. Individuals who posses high levels of skill in single disciplines are harder to keep busy as a general rule. When you run out of work for their specialty they become excess when a self learner can be employed in other areas and continue to contribute to the over all project. Thanks
Bob

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I agree that our e-book compares to an undergrad curriculum.

Sometimes the method is a bit fuzzy and the examples few (as in most written books), but the topics are there. It doesn't go through too much detail, though, but it covers ALL of the EE subjects.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would put it between the sophomore(2nd) and junior(3rd) year of undergraduate study. As others have said it is both deep and shallow. It is also a work in progress and an excellent on-line reference.

In a typical undergraduate program the increase in mathematical sophistication in years 3 and 4 is huge. That is where the quantum leap happens so to speak.