Let's all strive for excellence

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tranzz4md, Apr 15, 2015.

1. tranzz4md

Thread Starter Member

Apr 10, 2015
    This is obviously a hobbyists "'board", or website, but if you join and post you must have some regard for it. We can all make this a place we're Proud to be members of and contributors to the knowledge base. Alternately we can allow it to become a heap of questionable posts.

I don't think these ideas are unusual, or that goal peculiar to me or only a small group here. I propose that we all think, and pause as long as need be, before we click the "POST" button. Feel free to ask questions, and posit ideas, but be careful that wild guesses or approximations are clearly declared to be just that, or just kept to one's self.

Know your limits, and seek to expand them.

If you have 3000 (or 10,000 or whatever) posts, how many are of much value? Only you can really know. Some of us come here when we're chatty. I'm certainly not the one to decry that or seek to limit it, but if I'm chatty I try to be sure to edit myself, and use plenty of qualifiers in my remarks. Let's all be careful what we post,,,, - And encourage each other to do the same!

No "bad wikis" here.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This site is for beginners as well as experienced folk. This means stupid questions are allowed. Lord knows I have had my share of brain farts.

The moderating staff try to use a light touch here. The main things we care about is no spam, no flaming, and safety. Just use the <Report> button below the thread if you see examples of ToS (Terms of Service) violations and the moderating staff will handle it.

#12 and Treeman like this.
  3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    The board tends to be self correcting. There are many regulars with a large pool of knowledge, that a "questionable" post is quickly recognized and better responses are gently recommended. Additionally, many options are presented.

Note that I said gently. One of the reasons I like this forum is the typical degree of civility that is apparent in most posts. As Bill mentioned, no flaming is a major concern of the moderators.

I've had my share of "D'oh" posts. At times, I've gone back and deleted one's I particularly feel were not in the mood of the forum.

I don't know, (nor do I want to know), if any particular posts triggered this thread, but I believe if there were such posts, they are rare.

KJ6EAD and #12 like this.
  4. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    The difficulty with @tranzz4md's assertion is the usual problem that the sort of people who think before they act are the sort of people who read guidelines etc. Those who post "help me with my homework" without any further details are not usually the ones who things things through.

I agree with Bill and djsfantasi, none of us are perfect and often have "brain farts" or post things just to get a second pair of eyes. It's all part of the rich diversity of a forum like this and trying to be elitist is the death of Web Forums. A lot of people on here like to help newcomers and people who find it hard to articulate what their requirements are. I treat it as a learning exercise for myself because it often forces me to think about things in different ways.

#12 likes this.
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

As this is an international forum , not all posts may look as pretty as they would like to be.
    Many users will have english as the second or third language.
    Even my native language is not english, but dutch.

We will have users from all over the world and of all ages.

Bertus

KJ6EAD and #12 like this.
  6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It would be hard to quantify, anyway the judgment is in the eyes of the reader, not the OP I would think?
    Max.

#12 and Treeman like this.
  7. Treeman

May 22, 2014
    As a noob with limited time available due to children I can say that there have been times that I have been afraid to post which has been good for my research skills. Other times posts have encouraged me by their wording to dig deeper and find the answer. This is the best response - at least for me. Guidance is all we really need. My interest in electronics boils down to two things. 1. All my broken stuff probably is fiaxable with a scattering of euphemistic pennies. 2. Concentration helps PTSD no end.
    I could say more but I already hear tears from the new batch. Later.

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I spent a career spanning half a century striving for excellence. I'm not sure the payoff was worth the effort. Certainly not in dollar terms.

Brevor, sirch2 and #12 like this.
  9. Treeman

May 22, 2014
    teacher?

Papabravo likes this.
  10. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    What is OP trying to say exactly ?
    Is he trying to tell us not to chit chat and just ask related question and move on.
    I like to chit chat and have fun in off topic.

Papabravo and Treeman like this.
  11. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    We do not need to make this place a Proud place to be....!
    Because AAC is already One of a kind and a Proud Place to be.
    Further more this forum has the most knowledge and best of the guys in this field I found so far.

#12 likes this.
  12. Treeman

May 22, 2014
    Yes I found the Q a bit self limiting too, not for me being irrepressible though. All work and no play ..... Strangely this links quite well with another post two fora above.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm glad you guys found this before I did because I did not take the sentiment well.

an aside for @Papabravo
    I used to spend 90% of my energy working on the last 10% of trying to be perfect.
    When I realized I could never be perfect, that 90% of my energy was much better spent on being happy.

14. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Amen #12. I'm just coming to the end of first retirement winter in Florida. I shoulda done this years ago. Dunno why I waited. Maybe so I could say my career lasted half a century.:D

#12 likes this.
  15. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Programmer, hardware design engineer, software engineer, entrepreneur. Been there , done that, did it better, but sadly I'm not rich.

Brevor likes this.
  16. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Robert Watson-Watt, the "inventor" of RADAR said:

Sinus23 and #12 like this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Just last week, the neighbor across the street had an Air Conditioner Fail. Bad fan capacitor. $4 wholesale. I offered to fix it for $50.
    He called some other company and paid $3500 to replace the whole, 4 ton air conditioner. I thought my head would explode!

The customer would rather spend $3500 than pay me $50, and I never thought of turning a $50 problem into a $3000 cure. That's the story of my career in a nutshell.

18. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    As best I can decipher, he's trying to tell us that after barely five days on this board he's not happy here, because the rest of us are posting "questionable" posts of which he does not approve, and we should conform to his vision of How Things Should Be.

Life sure is tough, ain't it?

atferrari, Treeman, KJ6EAD and 2 others like this.
  19. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Some people are just never happy unless they have something to bitch about. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bitch-out from time to time, but I do try to keep it under wraps most of the time.:D

Reading some of the things we say can provide valuable insight in to how the workplace actually works. I wish I had such a resource when I was young and fresh faced, and believed all the BS. I was subjected to the mushroom theory of management.
    1. Keep 'em in the dark
    2. Feed them large amounts of BS
    3. Watch 'em grow!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  20. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That came straight out of DG management in "The Soul of a New Machine".