Les lawry johns servicing articles

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
yes i have been in the servicing trade for many years now and have quite a collection of Practical Television magazines -the magazine he used to write his articles for-was quite a character over the years...

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Boy does that bring back memories. I was geting Television magazine for years here in Australia, early 80s to late 90s. Was very relevant to the stuff i was repairing.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
well not quite a lost art for me...i was repairing valve sets of all makes and models-radio tv etc,then as things changed was repairing hybrid sets-part valve part transistor-then as things progressed was working on fully transistorised sets-names like bush ,murphy etc now long gone...who remembers the decca bradford chassis?or more recently the vestel range of sets?(ak 19 etc)...wont be long now before i get no more ordinary crt sets in for repair as i mostly fix lcd or plasma these days....and all the old pace skyboxes i used to get for repair disappeared overnight...those were the days when you could repair a board down to component level and it would last for another 15-20 years not like the sets of today which have a max life of 2-3 years before failure

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I started in the late 60s repairing BW valve TVs, by the early 2001 decided i was over repairs. Mainly due to the low cost of new equipment & there was a large turn down in repairs. Only do the odd one now if i feel i need a chalenge. Spent the last 13 yrs working as a mechanic in a Ford dealership (More money)

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
cant really see me doing anything else now as ive been in the trade for so long and yes a lot has changed ,lcd and plasma sets need to be approached slightly differently repairwise but thats part of the challenge these days servicing wise.these sets are made to a price though,some of the spares if you need a replacement pcb-inverter,ssb,sustain panel etc cost nearly as much as the set when it was bought as new which sometimes will scrap a set but if you then get to keep the set it may be a source of spares etc when the next set comes in.
Still you wont ever beat a crt set for reliability when put against any plasma or lcd ....