Les lawry johns servicing articles

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by sheldons, Jan 23, 2013.

1. sheldons

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    KnRele, debe and Metalmann like this.
  2. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
  3. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    yes i have been in the servicing trade for many years now and have quite a collection of Practical Television magazines -the magazine he used to write his articles for-was quite a character over the years...

4. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Boy does that bring back memories. I was geting Television magazine for years here in Australia, early 80s to late 90s. Was very relevant to the stuff i was repairing.

5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Never read him before, but those are enjoyable articles. TV repair is a lost art.

6. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    well not quite a lost art for me...i was repairing valve sets of all makes and models-radio tv etc,then as things changed was repairing hybrid sets-part valve part transistor-then as things progressed was working on fully transistorised sets-names like bush ,murphy etc now long gone...who remembers the decca bradford chassis?or more recently the vestel range of sets?(ak 19 etc)...wont be long now before i get no more ordinary crt sets in for repair as i mostly fix lcd or plasma these days....and all the old pace skyboxes i used to get for repair disappeared overnight...those were the days when you could repair a board down to component level and it would last for another 15-20 years not like the sets of today which have a max life of 2-3 years before failure

7. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    I started in the late 60s repairing BW valve TVs, by the early 2001 decided i was over repairs. Mainly due to the low cost of new equipment & there was a large turn down in repairs. Only do the odd one now if i feel i need a chalenge. Spent the last 13 yrs working as a mechanic in a Ford dealership (More money)

8. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    cant really see me doing anything else now as ive been in the trade for so long and yes a lot has changed ,lcd and plasma sets need to be approached slightly differently repairwise but thats part of the challenge these days servicing wise.these sets are made to a price though,some of the spares if you need a replacement pcb-inverter,ssb,sustain panel etc cost nearly as much as the set when it was bought as new which sometimes will scrap a set but if you then get to keep the set it may be a source of spares etc when the next set comes in.
    Still you wont ever beat a crt set for reliability when put against any plasma or lcd ....