Left speakers dont work unless hit

JJS1234

Joined May 26, 2011
Another thing. Seems when I start to lift the stereo or move it in any way I can hear a tick come from one of the Power Relay. Most likely a different one than the one I soldiered. Probably solider the rest of them.

Loose connection?

EDIT: I Mean Power Relay and not Transistor.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We used to call that recreational soldering, as no particular fault was being chased.

Before you do that, make sure the power supply filters are down to 0 volts and just use enough solder to make the joint shiny again.

JJS1234

Joined May 26, 2011
I came across another problem. Atleast so I think. I plugged my computer audio into my stereo via composite cable (white/red) into the Phono spot and it came out very grainy and well grainy (except it was worse than grainy I just don't know the word). The contact plates are clear of any debris. When I plugged it into the Video 3 spot, it sounds fine.

Anyone know what component is responsible for this (or atleast point me in the right direction)? Thanks!!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The phono amp is designed for little tiny millivolts. If you try to feed it a whole volt, it will go crazy.

JJS1234

Joined May 26, 2011
Oh really? Its as old as I am (20) so I have no idea what phono is.

Hmm. Thanks I will have to look that up.

Ahh a record player. I saw that on the manual but I didnt realize it required just that spot.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
We used to call that recreational soldering, as no particular fault was being chased.
I like that terminology "recreational soldering". When I was a student and working on various construction projects, I experimented with several solder improvements including clinching all leads before soldering and sanding/polishing trimmed leads. It was a fun way to learn but a little obsessive.