Left-Right audio "crosstalk"

ElectricMagician

Joined Jul 26, 2012
Hello everybody,

I replaced the my laptop's audio connector today after accidentally breaking it. I have an odd problem, however:

When I test the socket directly (by connecting a low impedance phone to the connector tips,) both channels seem to be working as they should. Things also seem alright if I plug in a standard 3.5 male-male cable to the connector and probe the tips .

(channel order also seems alright: GND,R,L)

However, if I connect any type of stereo earphone, I hear both audio channels from both sides, at roughly the same level.

Also, if instead of the standard cable above I use the 4 ring M-M cable that came with my headphone, the "crosstalk" appears even when I probe the tips with the low z earphone.

(interestingly, if I use the standard cable with the headphone, it still appears.)

Is there an explanation for this?

I tried introducing different value caps but all they did was filter out the treble.

Your help greatly appreciated.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
"...both channels seem to be working as they should."

Seem? Did you do the tests with left-only and right-only signals?

ak

ElectricMagician

Joined Jul 26, 2012
Using headphone:

Left and Right messages heard through both channels. Center message plays very low.

Using cable and transducer things work correctly.

ElectricMagician

Joined Jul 26, 2012
I understand that you were measuring left only and right only. But did both channels have audio on them at the time, or did you move the pan slider all the way to the left and then right so only one channel had audio on it at a time. It is the only way to do crosstalk measurements.

ak
I tried all sorts of measurements.

When audio is routed to only one channel, it still plays on both channels, it gets a lot louder when it's routed to the right channel though.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Unfortunately some of these sockets don't have the contacts in the correct places, try slowly moving the plug out of the socket and see if at some point you get the correct output or just output out of one side (it may be the wrong side though). If that's what's happening, try a different brand of socket.