LEDs from low voltage

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
I have an electronic transformer input 220VAC output 12VAC 50W made for use with 12v halogen lights. I connected it to the mains and checked the output voltage as I wasn't sure that the gadget was OK. When I checked the output voltage I got a reading of 7.12v. When I reversed the test probes I received a reading of 9.3 volts. I had connected the output wires of the transformer to cable connectors and had pressed the probes down firmly on the screw heads which were tight on the output wires of the transformer. I repeated this test several times and received the same result. What's the explanation? I want to use the transformer via a bridge to power a series of leds that were originally supplied by a 6v supply. Which way of connecting should I use?

A LED with a Vf of 3.6 V won't work on a 3.6 V supply. Vf has a range of voltages as well.
When driving with a solid state device you also have to account for that drop too.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Sorry that I erred. It was completely unintentional. I just thought it fitted in with the title of the thread.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Electronic transformers are really a switch-mode power-supply, and some do not work if run unloaded. You should repeat your tests with a test load to simulate the halogen lamp(s) that would otherwise be connected.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Electronic transformers are really a switch-mode power-supply, and some do not work if run unloaded. You should repeat your tests with a test load to simulate the halogen lamp(s) that would otherwise be connected.
Thank you I will try it again with a 12 v halogen lamp. Is it possible to reduce the voltage and use it via a bridge to power a set of leds with input voltage of 6vdc or is the type of power produced not suitable for powering leds?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you have a part number for the supply. It is possible that it is doing PWM for soft-start or dimming of the halogen, in which case, it may not be well suited to LEDs.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I presume that your meter was on a AC V range? Only thing that comes to mind for strange readings is if transformer wewe ferro-resonate & was screwing up the waveform. A bridge rectifier will not care of AC connection. if you no not filter output,& under load ( 5 to 8 A ? ), output might be close to 6 V of pulsing DC.