LEDs for inside motorcycle plastics

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kawininja, Aug 5, 2010.

1. kawininja

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Hello im trying to figure out a schematic diagram to put leds into my motorcycle so that it will have a glow effect like in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoG3wS0E8U&feature=related

Before I say anything just to let you know im not to electronically smart. I know some things i took electronics 1&2 in highschool but only have a basic understanding of it all so try to bear with me thanks.

I figured that I would have the whole thing start from the battery which is 12v then have a fuse wired in after the battery which would lead to a switch so I can turn everything off which would then lead to a resistor which would then lead to the leds. Now the leds im using have a current of 20mA and it says the FW? supply is 3.2V (typical) and 3.8V (max.). The guy at radio shack said that I could run a string of 4 of these leds off of the 12V battery if this is true do I run them in series or do I run them in parallel? So then if I wanted to run another seperate circuit of leds to make it bright would I just start from the switch and run another resistor and then run another string of leds?

Again sorry if this sounds noobish to you guys im new to this stuff.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  3. kawininja

Aug 5, 2010
    Solution 1: 2 x 4 array uses 8 LEDs exactly
    +----|>|----|>|---/\/\/----+ R = 330 ohms

The wizard says: In solution 1:
    each 330 ohm resistor dissipates 132 mW
    the wizard thinks ¼W resistors are fine for your application
    together, all resistors dissipate 528 mW
    together, the diodes dissipate 512 mW
    total power dissipated by the array is 1040 mW
    the array draws current of 80 mA from the source.

I hope you can read this but I will have the switch before the resistors and then a fuse attached to the switch which leads to the negative side of the battery. What fuse should I use I was going to use a car fuse but what A rating should I use? I heard a smaller fuse was better because it will blow faster in the event of a short.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I'd use a 2 Amp fuse.

5. kawininja

Aug 5, 2010
    Hey thanks for everything if I can get this project finished soon i'll post some pics.