LED Traffic Light using 555 timer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by HEENA, Apr 19, 2009.

1. HEENA

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    LED Traffic Lights

please give me the explanation of its circuit how it works

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Do you have a circuit that we can explain to you?

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    Use a dual 555 timer to make a fast clock and a slow clock. Use the slow clock to switch the red and green lights. Use the slow one to pulse the yellow lights.

With the clocks, drive a shift register or a sequencer to turn the clocks on and off. This will require some logic. I suggest using NAND or NOR gates.

Good luck with your project! :)

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    A friend had an old traffic light pole and needed lights, so I gave him a completed board driving 3 100W bulbs. Used 3 555's and a 4002 as a neg NAND and an inverter. Timing: G, 1M & 47μF; Y, 130k & 4.7μF; R, 1M & 47μF. G cap. coupled to Y, also Y to R. All 3 outputs fed back to 4002, then inverted and fed to R in[ pin 2]. Schemetic too faded to scan. Outputs triggered SCR's.

5. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    Interesting project, Bernard. I have two hobbies: Woodworking and electronics. I plan to combine them into making one of those old in-the-middle-of-the-street four-way traffic lights. It should make a nice piece of artwork for the livingroom -- and a great conversation piece. I have the digital circuit all worked out, but I'm not sure where I put it.