Led tail light for bmw e36 - problem...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by drspa6, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drspa6

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Hello.

My name is Marcin and I from poland, so sorry for my english.
    I want to will do led tail light in my bmw e36, I have a problem with resistors. So can somebody help me how to use like resistor for led?

Led type: Flux 5mm 10 000 mcd
    Color: red for (brake and park)
    Forvat Voltage: 1.8-2.2 V
    Max Continuous Forward Current : 20mA

Here my schematic for tail light brake and running\park, I have a problem with resisors 56OHM? 150 OHM?:
    [​IMG]

Here like look my tail lamp:
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Hello Marcin,
    I'm sorry, but the discussion of such modifications to safety-related automotive lighting systems such as headlamps, tail/brake lamps and side markers is not permitted on these Forums, for legal as well as safety reasons.

The only suggestion that we can make is to maintain or have your auto lighting systems professionally maintained as it was when delivered by the dealer, as at that point in time it was compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.

Please see the "Automotive Guidelines" thread for more detailed reasons.
    Click here to view the thread: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=40361

3. elementalrage

Jul 30, 2009
    There are several LED calculators online that can help you with your LED resistor calculations; however, using incorrect LEDs in tail lights can significantly reduce the visibility of your vehicle and cause you serious harm.

4. drspa6

Dec 13, 2010
    I understand you and this Automotive Guidelines, so thanks for help, but i will do this lamp alone hit and miss method.

5. drspa6

Dec 13, 2010
    How is correct led for tail light?

6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    This is the problem friend.

You have not learned enough to make this project safe and reliable.

If you buy cheap LEDs, you will have to test each one to be sure of its forward voltage and current draw.

Incorrectly matching or wiring can cause thermal run-away and start blowing all of the LEDs instantly, increasing the voltage on the car wiring and blowing out the other tail light leaving you with NO tail lights at all.

If this happens at night, you can get into an accident. You can get hurt/killed or the person that hits you could get hurt/killed.

You also need to worry about the voltages on the car wiring from jumping around. This is a project for someone with a FEW YEARS of experience in automotive electronics, and standard electronics to do right.

It may be east on your bench, but a car is a WAY DIFFERENT story.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Designing automotive lighting systems is not for amateurs.

Resistors alone are not adequate.

Transients in automotive electrical systems can reach 60v.

Please abandon your efforts. It will not end well.

8. drspa6

Dec 13, 2010
    Rozumiem to ryzyko, ale robię to dla zabawy i dla własnej potrzeby, a nawet na imprezy samochodowe w nocy jak w filmie szybcy i wściekli ;).

Edit

Upss sorry for my polish speak :D... I writen, that I understand this risk, but i do it for play, for own need and for car party et nihgt in my city like inmovie Fast and furious ;).

9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Perhaps you do not understand.

It is against the All About Circuits Forum rules to discuss this topic.

You should not attempt to modify your BMW's tail lights, as it may be illegal to do so in Poland; it IS illegal to do so in the USA and Canada.

Automotive safety lighting is nothing to "play" with. You "need" for it to be safe, reliable, and in accordance with the laws. "Fast and Furious" was a movie, nothing more.

drspa6 likes this.
  10. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

SgtWookie is right.
    Do not play with tail-lights and bring others in danger.

Bertus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.