LED swap with fade help

Livebyhonor

Joined Aug 3, 2011
I have had a project in mind for some time now and have even tried using the LED fade in fade out simple circuit to get the base idea working but what I'm trying for is a bit more complex. What I am trying to get right is this.
A blue LED is powered up quickly with a main power switch, with a press of a tactile switch the blue LED fades out over say 5-8 seconds (possibly variable). At the same time the tactile switch drops voltage from the blue LED a red LED powers up over a shorter period of time, say 3 seconds so there is a crossover where both LED's are active.
The reverse happens when the tactile switch is released, the blue fades back in at 3 seconds and the red fades out after 5-8 seconds. The base idea is to make that transition period fluid from blue through varying depths of purple to red and back again with the tactile switch. I have attempted to do this with the fade in fade out circuit X2 (1 for red and 1 for blue) but the 2 don't seem to combine well and ends up breaking 1 side down. At this point I'm thinking a micro controller set up is the best way to accomplish this. Anyone have some thoughts on this?