LED swap and critique please

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by rickdean, May 8, 2015.

1. rickdean

Thread Starter New Member

May 8, 2015
    Hello all. Trying to construct this device. I can buy all the parts from Radio Shack online. I'd like to change the red LED to a white one. The device will be coated with epoxy and a white LED would be more visible.

Do I need to change a resistor size? Any additional comments would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Kansas
    (capacitor was changed to Radio Shack NPA10M50 as the 272-999 was discontinued)

[​IMG]

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Post the schematic diagram of the circuit you are building. I for one, dont have the time or inclination to try to trace your wiring...

3. rickdean

Thread Starter New Member

May 8, 2015
    The picture is all I have. Do you have any idea what resistor on the board is controlling the LED? Thanks, Rick

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Try it. It would probably work.

5. OneFierceSon

May 5, 2015
    I might be missing something but. Do you already have the white LED you are going to substitute for the red bulb? If not you should just be able to get a 2.6v 23Ma white bulb. The circuit doesn't care what color bulb is in it, as long as the specs are the same.

6. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    WP_20150509_001.jpg i think its a two transistor multivibrator, if so i think your led is connected to the Base instead of the collector.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  7. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Those transistors are sledgehammers to crack a flashing LED nut :D. A white LED should work ok with no circuit mods unless, as stated above, it's in the base rather than collector path of the circuit).

Dodgydave likes this.
  8. Dibubba

May 15, 2015
    I like your approach to "build", Rick- when you do it, you do it Hardcore!

What Alec said. When I build and test stuff like this, I put a 470 resistor inline with the LED just as "procedure". Whether before or after depends, so long as I'm limiting current along the way. LEDS are cheap, but I still hate killing them.

Kudos on your project!!