LED swap and critique please

rickdean

Joined May 8, 2015
Hello all. Trying to construct this device. I can buy all the parts from Radio Shack online. I'd like to change the red LED to a white one. The device will be coated with epoxy and a white LED would be more visible.

Do I need to change a resistor size? Any additional comments would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Kansas
(capacitor was changed to Radio Shack NPA10M50 as the 272-999 was discontinued)

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Post the schematic diagram of the circuit you are building. I for one, dont have the time or inclination to try to trace your wiring...

I might be missing something but. Do you already have the white LED you are going to substitute for the red bulb? If not you should just be able to get a 2.6v 23Ma white bulb. The circuit doesn't care what color bulb is in it, as long as the specs are the same.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
WP_20150509_001.jpg i think its a two transistor multivibrator, if so i think your led is connected to the Base instead of the collector.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Those transistors are sledgehammers to crack a flashing LED nut :D. A white LED should work ok with no circuit mods unless, as stated above, it's in the base rather than collector path of the circuit).

Dibubba

Joined May 15, 2015
I like your approach to "build", Rick- when you do it, you do it Hardcore!

What Alec said. When I build and test stuff like this, I put a 470 resistor inline with the LED just as "procedure". Whether before or after depends, so long as I'm limiting current along the way. LEDS are cheap, but I still hate killing them.

Kudos on your project!!