LED Subwoofer Integration

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Austinphilp, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Austinphilp

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Ok, so a while ago i got a wild hair to start a project, i want to wire a series of LED lights with the subwoofers in my car so that they pulse with my music. I have a push button in my car i can use for the toggle, and what i want to do is make it so that when the button is in one position(say on) the LEDs will use the subwoofer wiring for power and hence will pulse along with my music, but when its in the other position(say off) all of the LEDs are wired to the switch for my dome light, so that when i need lighting i can still have a steady source of light, and that way i can turn it off while driving. Full disclosure, I know very little about wiring, but I've spent a fair amount of time researching the topic, from what ive gathered thus far, i need a resistor to keep the LEDs from draining all the power from my subs, and i need some kind of switch or toggle or something that can switch the power source from either the sub lines or the dome light switch depending on whether or not my button is turned on or off, thank you in advance for all your help! I hope i can learn alot about wiring while completing this project!
  2. sq-aristo

Jun 1, 2013
    Depends on your button switch a little if it is a dpdt switch I would be as simple as putting the wires in the right place, if not depending on what you want to do (replace switch or make a controller board) you could use the switch as more of a trigger to make to board change states
  3. trader007

Feb 27, 2010
    most installs ive seen just run a resistor and the led right off the subwoofer terminals. this is hard on the diodes though, since the sub runs off AC power youre relying on the reverse voltage tolerance thats built into the led's for it to work.

but diodes are so cheap most people dont care.