LED Strober

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
I am familiar with NE555 and other timers, im looking for a way to strobe LED segments like in this video, it seems that the red flashes on, then blinks, and then the blue flashes on, and then blinks...

Im thinking it may require a 555 and a 7404 inverter, but how do i get them to blink?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHluHTpYv4

Please Help! Im stuck big time

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I agree with Audioguru.
One small microcontroller IC driving some MOSFETs would be the way I'd approach that.

Trying to do that using discrete logic ICs would be painful, expensive and time-consuming.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How many pair of LEDs are you wanting to flash? Are they off the shelf, or high end units?

If you want to duplicate the entire car I have to agree with what was said, and it will likely be expensive in any case (just cheaper and simpler with the microcontroller).

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If you really like 555's,heres a bunch of em, as for appearance of first flash being longer it will be true here;charging of .1μF timing caps ,on first flash starts from ground,sucessive charges start at 1/3 of supply. First 555 is set for about 3 sec.,other two 555's alternate at about 5 per sec.
LED clusters based on All Electronics CAT# CLD-4x [x=R orB] @$6. ea,$ LED Cluster, 5-12V. chrome base. www.allelectronics.com. With 200ma drive you have many options.

Attachments

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
Thanks guys

I am building the enclosure for the LED's myself, the LED's are 2.3V a piece i think, so i can use them in series strings of 4 or 5 with the right resistance @ 12 - 13.8V. THe LED's im using are also rated for 70mA instead of the usual 20mA. they are pretty bright.

I think i may print that circuit out and build it, and try it out. I think what you have there may be exactly what im looking for.

I don't know how to use microcontrollers, i wish i did.

Thanks again for your responses. Anything in regards to flashing the headlights? Could i use something similar? may be a timer and MOSFET.

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
The only thing im going to change on your circuit when i build it, is to add a MOSFET on the pin 3 outputs of the 555 pair. This will make sure that i don't overdraw too much current from the 555

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I'm going to dirty the waters a bit : To simplify ckt. use 2 556's instead of the 3 555 & 74C74. Change existing print before replacement as follows; interchange 1M & 1K on first 555, output will now be almost square wave [maybe a little to slow] ; replace 74C74 with 555,used as an inverter, pin 7 open, pins2 & 6 tied together connected to pin 3 of first 555. Pins 3 replace Q & NOTQ. On second 555 connect p. 4 & 8 to +,1 to ground bypass p.5

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Using FET's , + side of LED's will go to battery +, drain to - FET, source to gnd. First two 555's ,with FET's should drive headlights just fine. Allow plenty of current capacity because cold filaments are thirsty; might add a little keep-alive current to the bulbs, just enough for a dull red.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If your LEDs are the square critters with four legs, they may be Superflux LumiLEDs by Phillips. For those, Vf(typical) is 2.6v @ 70mA.

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
If your LEDs are the square critters with four legs, they may be Superflux LumiLEDs by Phillips. For those, Vf(typical) is 2.6v @ 70mA.
yes, that they are. Nice LED's...one of my favorite to work with as far as automotive applications go.

I don't have any fets, Can i use a Mosfet and switch it on the low side?
I have tons of those

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
I ran a Sim with electronics workbench multisim 8, here's a copy of your schematic in file, not quite what im looking for, but closer. you have the right idea,

short flash red...long flash red...short flash blue....long flash blue....repeat

Thank you so much, maybe my sim is incorrect, run it if you can and maybe we can get this working...

again, thank you for your time and skill. I can do logic, but i get confused with stuff like this lol

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
yes, that they are. Nice LED's...one of my favorite to work with as far as automotive applications go.

I don't have any fets, Can i use a Mosfet and switch it on the low side?
I have tons of those
Absolutely you can use MOSFETs.

If you derate them considerably, you won't have to use heatsinks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
well, wont let me post project, and image is too big, this forum is kinda restricting! lol
Well, most folks don't have Multisim. Try posting graphics of your results. .PNG format is preferred, as there is no distortion like with .jpg format files. .PDF format does work, but it requires a lot of resources on the other end to load. Try .PNG first.

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
Ok, so lets see, Here's a sequence id' like to figure out:

Long Blue
Blink Blue
Blink Blue
Long Red
Blink Red
Blink Red

Entire red cycle : 1 second
Entire blue cycle : 1 second

Long pulse : about .5 sec
Blink : Quick Flash

Trying to emulate the same speed of Police Flashing lights, like on top of the police vehicles.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for yuor answers, I made this guess before ans. Turn dia. upside down and long pulse will be first. Long = 500 ms, flash =60 ms, off space between flashes =190 ms. How about 2 more flashes and less off time?

Attachments