LED Strobe Controller

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bluerose79, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bluerose79

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Hello all,

I am a total electronics noob. Im looking for someone who can design me a diagram for an addon to my strobe controller. The controller is of chinese origin and it uses the ground side as the controlling side on transistors in the controller. what Im wanting to do is add several more led panels, 48 total led's per panel to the controller. i just need a diagram that i can follow to create a wired add on to expand the controller i have, i know transistors are what i need do to the speed of the switching. but I' m unable to determine how to design it.. power is 12v obviosuly and the controller sends out 12v positive all the time and negative as the switch side. Thank You all.

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Haven't you ever that any one will need to see the circuit diagram of what you have to make an add on.

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Do you have any more specs? Like the total allowable amp draw on that 12v line?

If you want to power the leds from the same 12v line, or do you just want to switch the transistor with it? That way you can power the LEDs from a more capable source.

Just in case you dont have the current available on the 12v line.

Consider the power supply specs and what you are already pulling from the power supply. When you come up with a number, the rest should be downhill.

4. bluerose79

Apr 24, 2010
    I want to use the original strobe controller to run the add-on. So the add-on doesnt have to be fancy. Total amp draw avail is coming from a 900 amp truck battery. so not really a limit on draw power. each panel pulls less than 500ma and im 2wanting to use 12-14 panels. so a total of 2 channels at less than 6 amps each channel, and if i need to separate to more channels thats fine too..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Well, its not only the battery, its what the wires and components that are feeding those panels can handle.

6. bluerose79

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah thats why i need a diagram to work off of, the controller needs to handle at best guess 5 amps per channel with 2 channels. I didn't know if a transistor switch or a solid state switch would be best. but trying to find a good switch is hard to find they either power too much or too little. or are the ac current models...

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    How fast would they need to switch? Are the leds going to strobe?

8. bluerose79

Apr 24, 2010
    Yes they need to strobe that's why i was looking at solid state or transistor since a mechanical replay would be prohibitive.

9. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Are the boards already designed? OR are you building them?

If they are already built, you will need a power transistor or MOSFET to handle the current involved, a signal level transistor would explode. Also, with a transistor, you power a gate that turns it on allowing power to flow through the other 2 pins. So your 12v source going to your gate needs to be on your source also. Gotta think about that one. It would be better if there were a constant 12v on the source and then the 12v from the board triggered the gate.

10. bluerose79

Apr 24, 2010
    The origianl controller is built, I have to build a new controller to add the needed power. The original controller uses the negative out instead of the positive to flash the LED's power source on the controller outs is 12v. so 12v positive is constant. negative is the side hat gets switched by the original controller.

11. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    3 wires is what I mean. Are you talking GROUND switching or -12v switching?

the 3 wire system would be +12v (always connected)
    GND (always connected)
    and
    -12v (switched when strobing)

Is this what your working with?

12. bluerose79

Apr 24, 2010
    OK, your thinking traditional strobes.. no this only has 2 wires, positive and ground. bassically if you feed the led's 12v they stay on. the controller only has 2 wires coming from it, thats why i said a relay would work but it doesnt switch fast enough and they were out way too quick. Thats why i wanted to go solid state. but yeah the controller is wired up the interupting of the circuit is on the ground side of the lines.