LED strip stage lighting HELP

MattS

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Hello Robert,
Thank you for responding. I was wondering if you could help out a bit with my diagram and what I may need to complete it. I've attached a jpeg for a rough mockup of the idea so far. Haven't decided on colors yet, might be just white might be other colors + white. Probably would like a sound-controlled controller. The footswitch shown (110V, 15 amps) is a simple footswitch from harbor freight tools that we may or may not try to incorporate in this rig for easy on/off if needed, though the remote with the sound-controller may be enough for what we want to do for various effect. I think it'd take about two 5M strips to fill up each side (2). Basically what's left to figure is a) the wiring b) the power supply c) how to connect and disconnect the two sides in series for easier transportation. Let me know how this looks and the plan so far. open to recommendations and suggestions. I really appreciate your help and I look forward to your response. Thank you.

- Matt

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just a quick suggestion: Plan your connectors so that there is only one way to hook it up, so that it CANNOT be hooked up wrong, no matter what. Doodoo happens and you need to actively design it out of such things.

MattS

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Just a quick suggestion: Plan your connectors so that there is only one way to hook it up, so that it CANNOT be hooked up wrong, no matter what. Doodoo happens and you need to actively design it out of such things.
I'm planning to do that. I don't know exactly which/what connectors to connect each side to each other with yet. I figure i'd probably use something like this wire

and maybe these connectors

to go in between/connect the two sides to each other. does that make sense?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... does that make sense?
Only you can really answer that. You may need more than two conductors, though. Even for just off and on (with no data or separate channels), you might want a ground wire.

Anything you put on a stage will get stepped on, tripped over, spilled on, jerked and pulled, coiled badly, and so on. Lots of abuse. Only you can make the judgements about what you need.

MattS

Joined Dec 13, 2012
For power supply, I believe each 5M strip is 12v 2amp. So if I were to use 4 led strips, would that mean I'd need to get a power supply that's atleast 8amps or more?