Led strip 12v battery to 9v battery

RiskeTaker

Joined Nov 6, 2016
hey guys I'm new to AAC and I'm working on a project that basically has led strips attached to Velcro bands that I put around my wrist and arm. But my problem is that the only led strips I can find are 12volt but that could be difficult because it's attached to my arm. How can I make 12v led strips run brightly on 9v?

Do keep in mind I'm very very new to the world of electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Two options come to mind:
1) Modify the LED strip to run on 9V (by removing/shorting one of the assumed-series-connected LEDs and if necessary replacing the assumed current-limiting resistor),
2) Buy a DC/DC converter (voltage booster) to raise the 9V to 12V. The 9V battery would then have to provide a current of about 1.2*(12/9)* whatever the LED strip rated current is.

Whichever option, bear in mind that a little 9V battery won't run a current-hungry LED strip for very long.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If you want to power the strips with a 9 Volts PP3 battery, you will need a boost converter.
However, a PP3 battery will give you likely a short time to light the led strips.
You could also power the 12 volts strips with 8 AA batteries.

Bertus

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I have run Harbor Freight LED taillights at 9 volts. They are not as bright as at 12 volts but they were bright enough for my purposes which was a bicycle taillight.
I flashed the taillight at a low duty cycle and powered it from a 9 volt battery.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I've found that LED indicators and strips made to run on 12V usually look almost as good on 9V, just a little dimmer and with lower power consumption.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
How can I make 12v led strips run brightly on 9v?
All depends on the specifics of this "12V" LED strip.. It may run just fine with a 9V supply vs 12.. Or it won't turn on at all.. Each is different..
It may just run slightly dimmer (may not even be noticeable for the most part)..

Attach the 9V supply and see what happens..
But as stated a regular rectangular 9V battery may make for a very short lasting LED band..