LED Spacing

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I want to make a Light box for our local Rotary Club of The rotary Logo the size is 1 meter by 1 meter I want to put yellow LEDs behind the Logo so that it lights up.

I would like to know how to work out the spaecing in order to get an even distribution of light of the LED's

I was thinking of mounting them on the back logo and then having a reflector as a back plate for the light to reflect off.

Any help or Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
The spacing should be no big deal, by dividing a circle, but what will power them?

What size LEDs?

Some 16 foot strips, may fill your ticket.?

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I was wanting to use the 1206 package surface mount LED's. Once I have the quantity required I will work on a suitable driver. Basically I am wanting it to be Solar powered as it is for a solar project they are working on.

I was wanting to use the 1206 package surface mount LED's. Once I have the quantity required I will work on a suitable driver. Basically I am wanting it to be Solar powered as it is for a solar project they are working on.
I think you might be dissapointed with the amount of light that the LEDs light up the box.
1 x 1 metre is big.

Personal I would consider making a many large PCBs with the leds spaced 7.5mm, and mount the boards behind the logo in the box with adhesive tape feet.

So a lot of LEDs! Makes me wonder if incandesent bulbs (perhaps only a handful) -- would use less power an provide more light.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
LEDs are not like incandescent bulbs, leds only give light in one direction, so a reflector is not needed. Leds also have an illumination "angle" specification, look at the led data sheet for that. Then from that "angle" you could figure out, using the distance the from the letters to the led face, the best coverage/density for the leds.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Google for "flexible LED strips".

You can buy hundreds of LEDs already mounted on a flexible plastic strip (or tube) that can be bent around the circle of the sign. Connecting is very simple, they usually just need a 12v DC supply.

Trying to solder hundreds of tiny SMD LEDs would be the worst way to go about it, in my opinion.