LED Sign

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by nickels293, Nov 21, 2008.

1. nickels293

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Hey guys,
    I'm building a sign for my dad for christmas for his bar with fiber optics and LED's. I have the fiber optic part of the project worked out by stealing the setup from an old Christmas decoration my mom had but I'm having problems with the LED portion. I am pretty sure I'm going to use a 555 or multiple 555 chips to get all the LED's to light up at different times(not to sure about the number yet) but I don't know how to power them. I want to use the power from the outlet but I'm pretty sure that will blow the LED's and the chip, the only thing I can think of is tying the power into the power from the fiber optic setup I have. I really don't want to use a battery because I dont want to have to change the sign around that much after its built. Any other ideas for how to power this would be helpful. Thanks

2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Simply use a DC plug-top/ wall-wart power supply.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    "Wall wart" plug-type supplies are generally unregulated DC. You'll need to add a voltage regulator to ensure proper regulation. LM317T's are easy-to-use adjustable positive regulators good for up to 1.5A. You will need to use a heat sink.

As far as power supplies, I like Marlin P. Jones & Associates; they have good prices and ship quickly.
    http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=37&main=1

4. nickels293

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Okay, thanks for the ideas. Ill try those out and see which works the best, I'm thinkin the wall wart will be the best.