LED Sequencer stop game

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by yorkie63, Jan 13, 2014.

1. yorkie63

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Please can anyone help. I am reasonably new to this side of electronics.Also to this forum. I would like to make a circuit were a LED light goes round a sequence and needs to be stoped on a particular spot. if the user gets it correct i would like this to release a lock. a further development to this would be to stop it three times each time lighting a green light when the final light is lit then it would release the electronic lock. it should work on a 9 volt battery. any sugestions would be appreciated

2. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Sounds like a fun project.
    I'll watch for the simplest solution.:)

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I'll watch for the analog/discrete solution ;)

inwo likes this.
  4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Anything else would be cheating!:)

5. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    Here's what I came up with. Using only 10 DFFs, an AND gate, and a 7-input NOR gate.
    Of course, you could use fewer DFFs and a fewer input NOR gate if you decreased the number of "stages".

Anyone have a cleaner or more elegant way to do the trigger detection?

There are lots of other features to explore as well. Like pausing the cycling once you've got a "hit", or something similar. You could also use a counter instead of the last DFF in order to count how many hit's you've made, and from that you could detect when you've hit over 3 to unlock a door (or in this case, turn ON an LED).

EDIT: Added the circuit file for Logisim. I like running at 32Hz.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.

Perhaps I'm the only one not following what you want to do. Do you want a set of LEDs formed into a circle and have only one LED on at a time going around the circle?

How many LEDs?

How does the user control the LEDs? Is a lit LED "spinning" around the circle on its own and the user must press a button to stop it at a particular point or does the user have direct control of the LEDs such as using a rotary knob of some sort?

So like a mechanical rotary combination lock? Example, turn right to 13 light first green LED to indicate correct position, turn left to 42 to light second green LED, turn right to 9 to turn on third green LED and disengage lock? Which also brings another question, do you want the lit LED to always spin in the same direction, say clockwise, or do you want to be able to change the direction?

What are the specs of the lock or is the "lock" going to be an LED? If a true mechanical lock, a 9V battery probably won't last long.

absf likes this.