Led Sequence

Rabster

Joined Mar 14, 2010
HI all

IM about to start work on a new project, what im trying to do is to get a cirle of LED's to power up in sequence starting at 1 going all the way through to say 15 when it his the 15th one they flash off then on again and stay on till the power is removed.

Any Ideas how i can do this im thinking a Decade counter maybe with a timer chip...

Kerim

Joined Mar 3, 2011
What about 555 and CD4017 with 10 outputs (1 of ten counter) as a start? Using the CLR pin of 4017 shorter ring could be made.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, if the goal is to light them one by one and keep them on until they're all lit, I think I'd go with something like a couple of 74HC595 shift registers daisy-chained together, using the same clock. You'd then have 16 outputs. When the 16th output changes states, have it trigger another circuit that causes them all to flash for a number of cycles.

You might use a 4017, but only one LED would be lit at a time. It's possible to use OR gates to cause the current & all previous outputs to show as high, but that's a lot of extra wiring and parts.