LED resistor question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tc61, Dec 31, 2013.

1. tc61

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Hello,

I have five 3 v LEDs running off a LI-poly Bat. The battery can run anywhere between 4.2v fully charged to about 3v. Is it necessary to run a resistor on each of the LEDs , if so at what voltage should I spec the resistor for since the voltage drops as the battery is used.

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Yes.
    4.2V (otherwise you risk burning out the LEDs).

3. tc61

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    ok thanks for the help

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    1. Each LED needs current regulation.

2. The current regulator and the LED(s) form a series circuit, the sum of the voltage across the regulator and the voltage across the LED(s) equals the battery voltage. To say this another way, the voltage across the current regulator is the battery voltage minus the voltage across the LED(s).

3. If you have enough headroom in the battery voltage, you can run multiple LEDs in series, and share one current regulator for the series string.

4. The current regulator can be aproximated by a single resistor, in which case it is not a very good current regulator, or the current regulator can be an active electronic circuit.

So now you know the basics, do you have more questions?

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You'd really be much better off to use a boost circuit to regulate the current. Simply using fixed resistors will give you a widely varying LED currents over the battery charge/discharge cycle. A CMOS 555 timer, a transistor, an inductor, a couple resistors & capacitors can be used to make a fairly simple boost circuit. You can also make a "Joule Thief" type circuit that's quite simple.

6. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    "I have five 3 v LEDs running off a LI-poly Bat."

Don't you need more voltage than 4.2?:confused:

7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Not if the LED/resistor strings are in parallel.

Metalmann likes this.