LED ramping to mimic incandescent lights

John Everett

Joined Sep 8, 2014
Hello Circuit Builders,

I'm a scale model builder and have just begun to add LED lighting to my models.
I am constructing a vehicle with a set of external spotlights using white LEDs. The viewer is meant to be able to press and hold a spring loaded switch which will illuminate the LED spotlights over a span of about 1 second, as if the lights were incandescent bulbs.

When the switch is released, the spotlights should extinguish over roughly the same 1 second time span.

I've found a few examples of similar type circuits here on the forums, but nothing to exactly match what I need.

The model needs to be lightweight and portable and thus will be powered via 11.1 volt LiPo battery hidden in the base. The LEDs I'm planning to use operate at 2.5 volts and draw about 20ma.

I'm still very new to the world of "home brew" electronics so I may need to request that any help be followed up with greater clarification.

Thanks in advance,

John

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Although you could do this using discrete components a more compact way would be to use a microcontroller. What is the maximum space you have for the electronics?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
How many LEDs? Might do it with 2 resistors, a cap. & darlington transistor + resistors for LEDs. My lights seem to take less than 1/10 sec to come on & 1/2 sec. to turn off.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A straight RC charge curve appears visibly as instant on with LED. Reversing the curve would be nice but comprimised on linear charge for turn on. RC discharge used for turn off. LM 334 used for constant current to charge 5 uF cap; R1 adjusts current giving delay on from minutes to rat now. Darlington transistor,U2, presents verry little loading on C1. Times are almost fully adjustable. Continuous load on power supply about 2 uA.

Attachments