LED radiation reflector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by chunkmartinez, Dec 18, 2012.

1. chunkmartinez

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Hey guys, have you ever heard of or made a home-made radiation reflector for LEDs? I need to use one to beam and concentrate the lights im putting on my bike for night time. I am using a 555 under the seat with a pot and runing wire to front and back. Any idea how one can be made with foil or something?

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a program to design parabolic reflectors but this site won't allow me to upload an exe file. Maybe you can find the program by searching for it on the internet. The original purpose was to make a directional reflector for the antenna on a modem.
  3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Have you tried scavenging the reflectors from flashlights?
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Indicator light LEDs already are directional ( many less than 10 degree spread). SUrface mounted LEDs emit in something less than a 180 degree (3D) direction so there is no back-scatter to reflect forward. Many high power LEDs also have accessory lenses available to focus light as needed.
  5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    As already stated, LED's radiate forwards, so a reflector would not work. But you can use a forward lense to focus light from an LED array. I'd just experiment with different lenses until I got the right results.
  6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I wasn't thinking about mounting them pointing forward. I didn't provide any detail because I was just thowing out an idea for consideration.

I know someone that is into biking big time and he is also into LED lights, primarily for his bike, and he has some lights where he mounted the LEDs on a little board he made so that they were tiled at an angle. He then mounted that board on a tube such that the tube came up out of the center of the board. He then fitted that into the bulb retainer. The wires for the LEDs went up the center of the tube. The end result is that the LEDs were facing back toward the reflector. The results were quite nice compared to the same board by itself (i.e., facing forward but with the LEDs mounted flat with no reflector). I think he had six, but possibly eight, LEDs on the board. They were run off a single 1.5V battery using a charge pump circuit he designed.