led projects

kuxz2008

Joined Nov 16, 2009
i would like to build a electronics project that look similar to the flashing of the blue n red lights that is found on police car.

the blue light should be flashing twice before the red light that will be flashing twice. and this whole process continue.

how do i start ?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The lettering on Electro Schematics on my screen is verry fuzzy. By guesswork Blue flashes 50 ms, then again .4 s later,long pause, .8 s, R flashes twice, followed by only .15 s for B again. Unless I mis read the numbers, I would connect R to Q5 & Q7 to make a more uniform display.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You can see the flash pattern on YouTube links I put on that area, I also added a pot to control the number of flashes. The design is verified, and will handle the number of LEDs specified.

The other design will work. I don't thinkt has very little control over flash timing other than the duration, but for your application it may not matter.

Check this article out, it might have some other ideas on how to do it.

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Actually the CMOS 555 specs say output current is 10mA sink, or 50mA source. If that 50mA isn't enough for your LED, you have one hell of an LED! But yes, the regular 555 would provide even more.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually the CMOS 555 specs say output current is 10mA sink, or 50mA source. If that 50mA isn't enough for your LED, you have one hell of an LED! But yes, the regular 555 would provide even more.
Depends on the voltage feeding the CMOS 555, at 12 to 15 volts you might get that, but at 3 V you are lucky to get 10ma, the norm is 2ma.

Take a look at those specs again with an eye for supply voltage.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Truth to tell I have not a clue. I buy my LEDs from many sources (but mostly off the shelf), nowdays they are high intensity (the kind you can't look directly into) but narrow beam. There are tricks you can use if you want to defuse them, such as fogging up the clear lense or adding translucent paper or plastic. At the HAM Con they had a bunch of different colors (6 to a bag) for $1 each.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Actually the regular LM555 isn't specified for a power supply below 5V, whereas the LMC555 (CMOS) will work down to 1.5V. The spec sheet doesn't seem to say how much current it can source/sink at that level, but if the device has to run on batteries for a long period, CMOS is definitely the best bet. As happens so often, choice of parts depends on what's most important.