LED project

stryke297

Joined Jan 15, 2014
Long-short. Need to power LED's from a wall outlet. Still in concept phase. I have a diagram that kind of visually depicts the project, but I don't have a wire/circuit diagram yet.

My first issue/question is converting 120v AC to DC. I think I need a rectifier to convert to DC an some capacitors to smooth out the voltage. But I don't know how to incorporate a rectifier into a wire or circuit diagram, and not only do I not know which rectifier and capacitors I would need, I don't know how I would physically implement that. I'm assuming I would need a circuit board and any sort of power cord?

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
#1- Simply use a "wallwart" off the shelf AC/DC converter to get your DC. Like what you plug your cell phone into or any other device that requires DC from AC uses..
#2- Discussions of "transformerless power supplies" are not allowed here for safety reasons..hence #1.

So now with #1 you have "safe" DC available .. Now whats next in your project?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I'm curious about the multiple voltages indicated. Are they intended to supply multiple colors or quantities of LEDs such as for an artististic or signage type display?

Last edited:

stryke297

Joined Jan 15, 2014
Not allowed to make my transformerless power supply, got it.

Doing a quick google search, most ac to dc converters have a car output. How do I get a - and + lead out of that?

Since that takes care of power. The next step would be to incorporate the six LED channels, each having their own amp and voltage requirements, while being independently dimmable.

The unique volt/amperage values for each channel do indicate different LED color and amounts. Off the top of my head I believe it goes:
Ch 1; 3 blue "moonlight" 3w 20mm LED's
Ch 2; 4 390nm 3w 20mm LED's
Ch 3; 3 4000k 5w 20mm LED's
Ch 4; 2 460nm 3w 20mm LED's
Ch 5; 1 500nm 3w 20mm LED
Ch 6; 1 690 nm 3w 20mm LED

Not sure why the LED's in channel 3 are listed as 5w LED's. The spec sheet says they have a 3.25v max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Colors aren't unusually when you know they are building a LED fixture for I'd guess a "reef/saltwater" fish tank.

Not sure why the LED's in channel 3 are listed as 5w LED's. The spec sheet says they have a 3.25v max.
Because its probably a 1.5A max LED and 1.5 x 3.25 = 4.875 (rounds to 5W)
The others are probably 1000mA @3.0V (or something like that) = 3W

and now that you edited your post to include more details trying to do a "wall wart" ain't gonna cut it.
Here is how I would suggest doing it keeping it "easy"..
I'll give you a starting point.. see if you can take it from there if you wish..
Regular 24V enclosed AC/DC power supply.
Use 1 meanwell LDD driver per channel.
Those use a 5V PWM source for dimming. (555 timer maybe)
or there are "off the shelf" multichannel LED controllers with LCD screens that can output a couple channels of PWM.. (like a Stormx,etc...)

And I'd suggest against using any "high power" leds as moonlights.. Thats going to be way too strong and your tank will look like a Windex bottle shining bright.. Use regular 20mA leds/resistors/wallwart for the moonlights.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And one more thing... If you want to learn all this go ahead with the project..
BUT if you did this because you were scared off LED's based on the sky high prices charged for other units $600+ (maxspect/eco,etc..) Then check this out.
http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=18 (it was $159 last week and on ebay you can get them slightly cheaper some times)
Its all done for you.. Has 2 channels that can be adjusted via a manual potentiometer and runs really cool. Quality so far is excellent.