LED Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vinny8765, Mar 11, 2015.

1. vinny8765

Thread Starter New Member

May 28, 2012
    My goal is to control a 5m strip of 5050 led's with an Attiny 85. Now obviously the Attiny won't be able to supply that much current to the strip, so I'd like to know what steps I should take. The strip has +12V, R, G, B.
    So my main questions is can I control mosfets with the attiny? If someone could draw up a schematic that'd be great!

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    No different than any other micro/mosfet switch schematic.. Luckily the 85 has 3 PWM pins..

3. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    You want to start with a Google of "logic level mosfets". There are mosfets made to have low gate voltages to turn them on like the 3 to 5 volts from micro-controllers. Here is an example from SparkFun. You can get to the data sheet from the link for that example. You want a 10K Ohm resistor from mosfet gate to ground to make sure the gate is held off till you want it on.

<EDIT> Looking at the Data Sheet (always a good idea) the MOSFET I linked to does not seem to be a true logic level mosfet. You want a mosfet where with 5 volts on the gate the Ron is low and it will conduct its rated current. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015