led organ..not enuff power to run loads of leds

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by paddyhughes086, Jan 30, 2011.

1. paddyhughes086

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Hi First time on this website i working on a led light organ single channel.
    my issue is i will be expanding the channels and there will not be enuff power to run a hole aray of leds on each channel. so what i was thinking was to make my led organ and were the LED is connected to the circuit swap it out for some fly leads to a new circuit board that has its own power supply for them. i need help in making this circuit so that it only lights up when the original circuit led lights thaks for any input. i have uploaded a picture of the design

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

What you have posted is the constrution on a breadboard.
    Do you also have the schematic, that you can post?

Bertus

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.

There really isn't much to go on with that picture (it is not a schematic). Where did you get that design? It might have a proper schematic. How many LEDs were you thinking of driving?

I have several ideas I've written in LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers, Chapter 12 - Special Effects. One of the designs is a power driver for something like this, right next to a design that is slightly like yours.

4. paddyhughes086

Jan 30, 2011
    god your quick at replying. im using software called circuit wizard to design from college. i have tested the design and it works. im not realy sure how many led i will install it just something i as thinking about doing to add more affect to the circuit the one led on its own works but because my circuit requires you you + or - the vrsister this limits the power to the led so having more than one led on the circuit dosent work

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Assuming the LED is blue or white, which raises it's Vf 3.6, you might be able to have 2 in series. A 9V battery drops its voltage very quickly to 7V though as it is discharged, so this is probably not a good idea. The other way to do it is to add another LED/resistor in parallel, which should work fine.

You need to define how many LEDs though, as this set up the problem.

Did you look at the link I gave? It has other schematics and answers.

6. paddyhughes086

Jan 30, 2011
    thanks bill i did have a look is it the low voltage schematics im to look at. bill is there a way do that i can creat another circuit with the fly leads and have it running its own power. i think i will be doing a 3 channels on one breadboard each channel i would like 10 ultra bright led working of it. thanks for all your input bill.

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Given there are no high voltage schematics in my work I'm sure what you are saying. I usually pick 12VDC because it is more stable than a 9V battery, and will drive more LEDs in a chain. The faders, which are very similar, started with 3V and worked their way up.

Your circuit is fundamentally digital, not analog. It is usually either on/off, not in between. The ones I drew I tried to keep in the analog region, but if your design does what you want this is cool.

Up the drive to your schematic Q2, and just use Q2 to drive more LEDs. The LEDs can have their own power supply, if you used 24VDC you could have 5 LEDs per chain. If Q2 gets warm you can up it to a beefier part, but I suspect it will handle 10 LEDs pretty well.

You didn't answer what color they were, it matters. Red is usually 2.5VDC Vf, white and blue 3.6VDC Vf, the less voltage across the LED the more LEDs you can have in a chain.

8. paddyhughes086

Jan 30, 2011
    sorry bill i will be using red on one channel green on the second and blue on the last channel i have attached a new secmatic

9. paddyhughes086

Jan 30, 2011
    sorry last image wrong. and there will be more led than in image

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If the new schematic uses blue LEDs it will not work, if it uses red it might work. Again, voltage drop of the LED depends on color. I also get the feeling you are new to calculating what resistor you need to use with an LED.

That link I suggested, LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers, covers the basics for chapters 1 and 2. I strongly suggest you read it.

Additional edit...

[​IMG]

The two negative sides of the batteries should be connected. We generally call this ground.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  11. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    The new schametaci won´t work, because youre missing a ground connection. The negative of both supplies has to be connected together.

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Beat ya!..