LED matrix sign & 'faulty' lighting effect

jus_sparky

Joined Aug 22, 2013
Hello you guys

Please be gentle with me, its my first time on here :) Really hoping you can help me with some cool stuff I need .... which I know exists ...but can't find!

I'm embarking on a music project where I need to create various bits and pieces centred around a riot outfit .. mainly the helmet.

The first thing I need is a flexible LED matrix sign to fit inside the riot helmet visor, to display a message. There is a System of a Down Video called B.Y.O.B. with something similar at the very beginning .. fairly certain that they cheated and used cgi to get that affect.

The visor will be motorised and as it lifts up it will reveal the wearer in a stocking skull mask, lit with an eerie blue light or uv .. probably a neon strip or pin spot(s), somewhere along the inside/front of the helmet.

Here I need help to create a 'faulty' lighting effect .. so mainly on constantly .. with a voltage drops and 'crackly' blackouts here and there .. I'm sure you will have seen effects like this in horror films.

The main problem I have is I'm a bit rusty AND there is probably lots out there that I am not aware of these days ...

Hope someone can help.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For the eerie blue, look into electroluminescent tape. I think it would be perfect for what you described.

I'm sure there are many ways to simulate the flickering. Do you want something like when a fluorescent bulb is going bad? Anyway I think the most versatile way will involve a chip programmed with your preferred sequence. I did something similar in this little project, where I scaled up the power but used the chip from a commercial candle simulator.

jus_sparky

Joined Aug 22, 2013
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, just like a faulty neon blub ... I was just looking at flickering candle bulbs and wondered if there was a uv flickering bulb ... would thatbe the simplest answer.