LED intensity wiring project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by DarkneSS, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkneSS

Thread Starter New Member

May 19, 2011
    Let me do this the proper way this time...

What I have is a set of orange leds and I would like to be able to make increase and decrease in brightness based off the output from a 12v source.

I have limited wiring/circuits knowledge so treat me like a caveman.

If you make a diagram or have info I can actually put it together, its the designing part that I am a caveman at!
  2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    How many LEDs and what are their specifications?
  3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    And since I assume a 12 V source is always at about 12 V what is the control input?

BTW, a recent product of mine is a tightly spec'd dimable LED; the tight spec was to make it's brightness equal to an incandescent bulb it is intended to replace. A PWM control can do the dimming for you: Max brightness is always on (PWM=100%), and anything dimmer is just the same percent ratio, i.e. 25% brightness is a PWM of 25%
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, this appears to be the same request as this thread:
    ... that involved using automotive engine control inputs to vary the brightness of added LEDs on the rear of the car.

That is not a project which we can discuss on these Forums.

It is certainly not a project for a beginner to attempt.

Automotive electronics are subjected to some of the most brutal conditions on the planet; temperature extremes, corrosive fluids/gases, shock, vibration, you name it. On top of that, the electrical system can and does experience voltage "spikes" up to 60v routinely. If a circuit is not designed with that in mind, it won't last long.

You would also be attempting to utilize a critical signal that is used by the ECU to determine the throttle position. You risk burning up your ECU, which will be very expensive to replace (haven't priced a Camaro ECU, but think in the $500-$1,500 range just for the part, plus labor, plus programming). If whatever circuitry you might connect to that signal fails in an unsafe mode, you could also cause engine damage and/or unintended acceleration (runaway engine) that could result in property damage and jeopardy to human safety, particularly if the transmission were in gear at the time of failure.

Will you please stop requesting help for your project on this forum?
    Besides being against the published Terms of Service, there are just too many safety/damage issues - even for an experienced hobbyist.

Now if you just want to make some LEDs flash or control their intensity level that does not involve an automotive application, then we can talk about that. However, you have to be aware that no circuits posted on this site are designed for, or are/were suitable for automotive use.

I might sound to you like a "meanie" (or stronger verbiage if you like), but I'm really trying to do you a favor by talking you out of it. Your car, property and your life is not worth risking the (really) frivolous modification idea.
  6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That's why we have the rule.
  7. russpatterson

Feb 1, 2010
    Read Bill's article and ask questions about that. You do need to provide the specs for your LED's. Voltage, Vf, and current (probably in mA). You could dim them with a big pot but that would be really inefficient. PWM is a much better route. You can buy LED drivers that will do what you want but they're not that cheap. Take a look at ledsupply.com
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.