LED for a FLOOD..

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Trick Q?

Say on one side I have 1000W Mercury Flood...which takes for to light up. but gives one hell of a bright light...

On the other I want to have LED's to compete...say 100W led's that are now available....

How many LED's will be equal to the mercury...
This is going to be practical thing, which I am buying LED's to test....
will give the goodies later.

Give me a no.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
thanks mark.. but I like to know a figure for say would 5 100W Led will be equal to the flood.
Have you seen these leds'. I'm getting them on ebay.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Wow. .66% to 22% is a huge band.

But I am thinking he is talking about comparing lumens. How many LEDs would it take to match the lumen output of the Mercury flood.

50, 20w is still 1000w. From the linked page, the white leds can be 3x more effective in producing the same light.

So 300w worth of leds should get you in the ballpark. that would be 15, 20w. That is a big savings.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
thanks again mark.. so it's a go.then...
two of them will definitely beat the 1000W... compared to power consumption and heat plus fuel..
don't you think?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would say three of them would match the output.. But then again, Im no LED expert.

They will need heavy heat sinking. If you look at the page Mark linked to, he is comparing one of the 100w leds to a 500w halogen, and the halogen is a little brighter. So 1000w, I would think 3 of the 100w led should give comparable output.

How much are they?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I would never buy an expensive Chinese no-name-brand LED that has no manufacturer's name and no datasheet.
It seems to produce almost as much heat as light.
What will you do when it burns out soon?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
What will you do when it burns out soon?
Buy more! Rifaa is rich now!

But, yes, I would consider quality in the parts. However, if you are trying to save money to get the design done, be sure that there is nothing of value or of a low kindling point around the setup.

When switching to a long-term setup, I would use a quality part whose thermal bond isn't going to break down after a fer hours of use.

Come to think of it, you may want to just start with quality and not give money to the companies peddling these wares.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You see my aim for this is for our hard working fisherman. Before they start out at dawn for fishing they go out at night to catch baits and they use two of these to attract herrings to the net, so I was thinking to give them instant and better light with low loss and also at a quite environment, they can use the on board batteries instead of the loud genset's. No fuel to burn, environment friendly.
Who cares for low quality, can you guys find me a better option than this, then I'll be more than happy to try them out, If better quality is there then I would have also found them.
This is not a project to make huge money, I don't do that, I want to give them at a low price and also without a loss to me, I can replace them if they tend to burn out soon, but without trying I donno the life limit at that environment in witch these guys fish.
I know that this is harsh and tough job these fishermen's do, cause I went with them to get a first hand experience and believe me this is not for armatures, I came down with a fever after that night. If any one had seem me in that boat then they would die laughing, I was literally all around the boat running here and there trying to dodge the incoming fishes, most of them are half my size, and when these fisherman's get's in high gear, there is no stopping them, you can see fishes flying over your head form each side. It's a sight to believe. I got kicked one or twice with a fish in my groin. I'm lucky I did not got thrown overboard. It's was fun though.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
LED's are the way to go. They are the lighting of the future. Already, they are one of the most efficient light sources out there. Except for low-pressure sodium - orange street lighting.

This is mainly because they can be designed to produce light only in a restricted range - the visible range.

Mercury lamps produce a lot of infra-red (heat) and ultra-violet.

The important factor is Lumens per Watt. A comparison:-
Low-pressure sodium 200
LED (Cree XP-G type) 132
Mercury lamp (fluorescent) 80
Quartz halogen 24

But:- LED's are expensive (especially in the larger types), require cooling (cooler the better) and need a constant-current supply.

However, last a lifetime - 50,000 hours and low-voltage - so safe.

Oh, and instant light as well!