LED flashing circut at nighttime

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
A co-worker asked me to build a flashing LED circuit that is powered by solar panel (to charge batteries) and batteries only at night. He asked for minimal parts.
So far I build this prototype:
flashing led circuit.jpg
The only difference on protoboard is that instead of battery, I'm charging 2 x 4700 uF capacitors (I know, short time).
So far, it works, even on 300 uA.
Is there anything that any of the advanced users would add or change in this circuit?

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
For now, i don't know, it's still a prototype on my protoboard.. Any suggestions? Battery should be fairly small in size.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
What happens when the battery becomes fully charged during the day?
There is no regulator to switch of the charging in that event so charging current will continue to flow and so the LED's will stay off.
This kind of charging is fine for e.g. NiCd and lead-acid batteries as long as the current is not too great.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 771 blinking LED.PNG
A co-worker asked me to build a flashing LED circuit that is powered by solar panel (to charge batteries) and batteries only at night. He asked for minimal parts.
So far I build this prototype:
View attachment 107390
The only difference on protoboard is that instead of battery, I'm charging 2 x 4700 uF capacitors (I know, short time).
So far, it works, even on 300 uA.
Is there anything that any of the advanced users would add or change in this circuit?
One with fewer parts.
Self blinking LED, one transistor.
Resistor values may need to be adjusted.