Led fading circuit

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You need more filtering. Remember the diagram I posted, with a resistor separating each unit from the power supply? Make that modification to the problem timer only, and be sure you have a 220µF on the 555 side of the circuit.

The RC time constant will tend to absorb the spikes. There are other kinds of filters you can use if this doesn't work, but likely it will.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Yes I'll post pix asap when I get back to Uncle bucks BBQ's I had to get timers back for his use! And Bill all the folks thanked both of us for the Timers and everyone at AAC :D Jim

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I finally mailed the package this morning. I put $50 insurance on it, my way of keeping the post office honest. Expect it around the 10th.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Wow was that fast got it in tdys. mail. What a beautiful job Bill! Thank you so very much. I was going through all the posts tdy and I was wondering if we are still using post # 24 LED Array it looks like so. Am I correct? Thanks Jim PS . I'm sitting here right now soldering on the sockets and I will be using machine pin from now on Thanks Again :);)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, the resistors are on the board. The silkscreen on the PCB is not very readable, so be sure to print out the layout.

First time you've seen machine pin sockets? You can also buy them in single row format, cut them to size (length), and still use them for Dual Inline Pins.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Ok, I'm soldering parts on the PCB and I get to C8 only one prob. I can't find the value on anything, (schematic,silkscreen,or anywhere) must have been an add on I am unaware of. From the size of it I would guess a 220μF or 470μF but I'm not sure. I think now is a good time to ask! lol :confused: PS Can I substitute 1/2 watt resistors for 1/4 watt resistors of the same value?
Thanks Jim

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Look at the PCB thread, it has the layout with clearer text on it. The schematic cross matches that. Frankly I over heated the silk screen side, and the toner smeared a bit.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Hi guys,
I got the Sequential Fader Circuit up and running but I have a problem with the way the LEDs are turning on. The red is OK but when it is suppose to go to white both white and blue come on. I triple checked all my soldering to make sure I didn't spread lead where it dosn't belong. I've attched pix. Could it be one of the IC's? also the red stays on for 9 secs. the white and blue stay on for 9 secs. then come back on for another 9 secs. it does seem like the white and blue are tied together somehow.Here is the schematic for the project HELP Thanks Jim
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=312703&postcount=44

Attachments

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Your link doesn't work but I found the thread in your profile.
The thread has 111 posts. Which post has the schematic?
Why didn't you post its schematic here?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I just posted a reply, but it doesn't seem to be displayed. Actually, I did it twice, there are two invisible posts on this thread for some reason. However, I tacked my reply on this post and it took. To the moderators, note the attachment is not directly visible.

Not sure, but I think I see a flaw in the PCB, a short. I love hi res images for inspection, works better than my eyes.

It may (or not) have taken out the AND gates. Try slicing it with a sharp knife or exacto blade and see.

Look for other possible shorts.

Last edited:

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill,
Good eyes you did find the problem! Circuit up and running. I went over that circuit looking at my solder work over and over with Mag. Head gear on and missed that one. Now to mount all the LEDs assmb. frame and stand then mount the PCB in stand. I'll post Pix when its complete. Thanks Jim ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Cool. I had done an inspection with my hi res images. I'm going to get a micro lens for my digital camera eventually.

I really can see the flaws better in picture format though.

One last thing, get some high purity 97% isopropyl, and clean that flux off the bottom of the board. Be careful not to get the silk screen too wet. I usually use a basting brush to scrub it off. It will help prevent corrosion later.