LED drivers domestic lighting

Tera-Scale

Joined Jan 1, 2011
I need to get into the principles and general circuitry (block diagrams) of modern LED drivers that can be connected directly into the mains (110/240Vac) that will process them to pure current source for lighting the LEDs. Any hints or good sources pls?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As long as it is a commercial device this thread passes muster. I will also mention a simple wall wart meets the stated requirements. Ideally, any device provides isolation from the mains to prevent a a dangerous problem.

While it is possible to power LEDs directly from mains, it is against the rules at AAC to discuss because of the hazard.

Tera-Scale

Joined Jan 1, 2011
As long as it is a commercial device this thread passes muster. I will also mention a simple wall wart meets the stated requirements. Ideally, any device provides isolation from the mains to prevent a a dangerous problem.

While it is possible to power LEDs directly from mains, it is against the rules at AAC to discuss because of the hazard.
From the previous post it seems to be implemented commercially. My intention here is to discuss main stages that make up mains LED drivers
like the one in the link. http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN4670.pdf

My interest is not building one but understand the main concepts so I can compare it to other applications of power electronics like for example how it compares to the stages of a UPS. There is always some rectification involved, which technology is used etc.