Led Driver for JRLED

AntonyR

Joined Feb 10, 2015
I know close to nothing about circuits and I read about led drivers and heat, I got more confused then sorted out.
I bought this JRLED 50W 4000lm LED 30~32V 1.66A (not sure if I can post the link of the store here).
The idea is to make a small light, yet powerful for a closed room.
The voltage on the place is 110v.
I don't know what kind of driver I need to install this.
I'm thinking of buying a 28 watt high power LED driver with
Input voltage: AC 85~265V
Output voltage: DC 22~25V
Output current: 1400mA
Also thisadjustable power supply voltage regulating and reducing module
Input: 3~40V
Output: 1.25~35V (adjustable)
Current: Max. 3A
Do I need something else?
Will this work properly with the 110v current?

Thank you for the help!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Nope..
#1 you just need an "LED driver" you don't need the extra "reducing module"
#2 your LED driver needs to have an output voltage greater than the forward voltage of the LED.

Do you want dimming?
Would you rather pay a bit more for a quality driver vs the ebay junk out there..
I'd recommend a Meanwell LPF-40D-36 if you want to underdrive it a bit or the LPF-60D-42 to drive it at its max 1400mA..
Then you can pick up a simple 100k potentiometer if you want dimming

IF you want to stay "cheap" (and risk a fire with the ebay/Chinese junk :) ) then simply search for 50W LED driver on Ebay and make sure its output current is 1400mA (or less) and that the output voltage is slightly greater than 32V.

Make sure you have a really good heatsink..
For a 50W LED I'd recommend a cheap duron heatsink w/fan like this
http://www.mpja.com/Duron_Athlon-Socket-A-CPU-Heatsink-Fan/productinfo/17045 HK/
Then drill/tap to mount the LED (with thermal grease between sink and LED base)

AntonyR

Joined Feb 10, 2015
I need an heatsink?
How hot can this get? I'm asking because I was planing on make a very compact lamp, there is no much room for a heat sinkthere, only a small passive one, maybe 3cm in height.
I don't want to risk a fire, I don't want to make it cheap.
I think I will not be able to fit everything in the space I intend to.
Thank you for your answer!

Denesius

Joined Feb 5, 2014
I need an heatsink?
How hot can this get? I'm asking because I was planing on make a very compact lamp, there is no much room for a heat sinkthere, only a small passive one, maybe 3cm in height...
A 50W LED, if you drive it anywhere close to max power, will get too hot to hold in about 45sec, and will burn itself out in about 2-3min. You absolutely need a heatsink, unless you plan on driving it at 1/10 its rated output, or less

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
yep.. absolutely need a heatsink
Its 50W man.. thats a lot of heat.. (and light)

The ONLY leds that don't need heatsinking are the typical 5mm,etc... small 20mA indicator leds..
Even 1 and 3W LEDs need heatsinking..

Also.. NEVER... NEVER look directly at the LED when its on.. It can cause permanent eye damage very quickly..