LED driver for 30W RGB floodlight

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016
Hello,

I am new in this type of electronic circuits.

I want to make a wake-up light with Arduino.

I have a power supply:
Input AC 85-265V 50/60Hz 0,3Amps
Output DC 24 - 36V 900mA +/-5%
(See picture)

I have a 30W RGB floodlight.
The red needs 20-24V and green and blue 30-34V.
How can I regulate the voltage output of the power supply? It says it is 24-36V but how can I regulate this?
The specifications are in the picture.

Coding I can do, but I don't know where to start with the circuit.
I know I need to use the PWM output pins to control the light.

I know I need MOSFETS to drive these lights, but like I said, I really don't know where to begin.

Any suggestions for a circuit for this project?

Attachments

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Any particular pattern you need? (red for x time, green for x time, blue for x time)
Are they all driven by one pin or does each color have separate pin?
What is the pinout of the LED module? How many pins and what are they?..

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016
Any particular pattern you need? (red for x time, green for x time, blue for x time)
Are they all driven by one pin or does each color have separate pin?
What is the pinout of the LED module? How many pins and what are they?..
I want to control each color separately. So I can mix the colors.
I want to know what I need to make this work.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
That LED driver (power supply) won't really work for your LED as the output current is fixed at 900mA and your LED needs 350mA..
You would more than likely overheat the LED and destroy it..

That is a constant current power supply that WILL supply 900mA (not up to 900mA) over a range of 24 to 36 VDC..
Its not like a constant voltage power supply that will supply up to its rated current at a fixed output voltage..
And an LED needs to be FED current and does not "take" only the current it needs like a resistor or lightbulb,etc..

Its not capable of driving the red LED either if it cannot regulate properly below 24 volts.. It may just blink on/off as thats what many do when they are not used in their stated range..

You need 3 LED drivers.. 1 for each color..

I would suggest getting a 48V regular (constant voltage) power supply and 3 meanwell LDD-350h led drivers.
The meanwell drivers also accept a 5V PWM signal right from the arduino for dimming.. (make sure the arduino ground is also common (attached to) the 48v power supply ground.

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016
And I need to limit the voltage after the led driver so the red does not get more then 24V and green and blue not more then 36V.
Right?

So what I need is a 48V regular power supply.
And those 3x LDD-350h drivers.

And connect it like it's displayed in the standard application in the data sheet? With each LED on one driver

Attachments

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016
And I need to connect the ground of the Arduino to the - of the powersupply. So I can just power my Arduino with 12V input from another source. And the - of this supply connects to the - of the 48V powersupply? so they all have the same ground?

I was confused because the AC has an L-, N- and a GND-Cable so I didn't know which ground you meant.
But now I think I understand.

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016
So this 48V power supply is fine?
It's 48V 1Amp. And the 3 drivers are using 320Amps each by full power.
By 24/7 use it's recommended to use 80% of it's maximum. But since the light is not always on, it's not a problem right?

Attachments

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016
Sorry for the many posts, but I found a powersupply from Meanwell which os 48V 35W but it's 0.8Amps and the drivers are 320mA each (max).
Is this powersupply good enough?
Or do I need a 50W powersupply
I can choose from RS-35(W)-48(V) or RS-50-48 which is 1.1Amps.

And do I need to limit the voltage after the driver to protect the leds?
Red needs 22-24V
Green needs 30-34V
Blue needs 30-34V
How am I supposed to do this?

Robin Gerritsen

Joined May 25, 2016