LED daytime running lights DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohliuw

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Hi guys,

I am trying to replace my H8 halogen bulbs on my DRLs with LED ones. At first I got some off ebay, but one of the drivers went bad and smoked one of the LEDs. Also, they weren't bright enough, so I decided to go for a DIY.

The design is similar to this:

So, on each bulb there are 2 LEDs, opposite to each other, currently they are on series.

Initially, my plan was to use the Luxeon rebels (http://www.luxeonstar.com/Cool-White-Lambertian-Rebel-220-lm-p/lxml-pwc1-0120.htm), but then I found out that XM-Ls are much brighter at lower voltage at 700ma.

The cut where the LEDs are positioned on the aluminum are approx 10x15 mm.

What would you suggest for LEDs and a driver? The H8 standard is 12v, 35W, but since we are talking car power, it fluctuates up to 14.5 when charging. Keep in mind that I am a newbie, so please use simple words

I am thinking of getting four XML T6, two in series for each bulb. I just need a driver that can run 2 in series, and that will prevent getting an error about my lights on the dashboard.

A dirver I found is:
http://www.lightmalls.com/super-output-ssc-p7-led-driver-board-low-high-middle-5-5v-15v-2

Thanks in advance.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus