LED Current Indicator for Speaker Wire

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I thought the LM393 was rated to handle up to 36V -- so why is a 25V Zener too high? When you say "supply voltage" are you referring to the power supply? So would the 5.1V/5W Zener I have on hand be best?
As a general rule of thumb, any device's inputs (logic, opamps, whatever) should never be more than one diode drop (0.6V) above or below the device's power rails. Individual data sheets often have more restrictive limits. A common method is to add two diodes to the input, one to each rail, such that they do not conduct in normal operation (both pointed up). In your case, a single 5.1 V zener to GND is good for this.

ak

Last edited:

ljmccon

Joined Nov 27, 2015
The circuit is seeing (barely) +5v thru R7,R6.
Aha! I thought that might be the case. So, adding a 3-10K pull-up will make the circuit more reliable, then.

Looks like you can rely on a Current Gain of 100 at 10ma, but not a Beta of 100 at 200ma continuous.
It sounds like I can rely on at least enough current gain for 200 mA, so that's perfect.

The device has an internal over voltage input protection diode built into it, and is good for a max of 50mA.
So, if the device has internal over-voltage protection, that means I don't need the zener or any other over-voltage protection, right? And it sounds like you're implying that 50mA is more than enough for this application. If that's the case: A couple days ago, as a test, I hooked my circuit up directly to my amp with no speaker in parallel, and cranked the volume to max. That fried my LM393. Do you think that was because of negative voltage? (As opposed to over voltage or too much current?)

You may want to provide protection in case the input voltage goes more negative than 0v, though. A ordinary clamping diode like a 1n914 should work
Please see new schematic -- does this look good to everyone? (i.e., Is this circuit is adequately protected from over-voltage, too much current, and negative voltages?)
Audio Detector LED Driver.jpg

EDIT: I just saw AK's suggestion for the 5.1V Zener. So, I do need that? Will that provide protection from negative voltage as well? Or should I have both the inline 1N914 and the Zener (to ground) in the circuit?

marcf

Joined Dec 29, 2014
Please see new schematic -- does this look good to everyone? (i.e., Is this circuit is adequately protected from over-voltage, too much current, and negative voltages?)
No it is not.

A 100W power amp 'cranked up' can output +/- 40volts 80v pk to pk the speakers. (you will probably leave the room well before this happens however, but still consider a worst case condition) You must limit this somehow. I would suggest using a fairly high resistance (100k) terminated with two back to back diodes. A +/- 0.7 volt input signal should be ok, if not use 4 for a +/- 1.4v input.

ljmccon

Joined Nov 27, 2015
I think this voltage protection is the last sticking point for me. I'm having a hard time understanding this.

A 100W power amp 'cranked up' can output +/- 40volts 80v pk to pk the speakers...You must limit this somehow.
I thought you said the LM393 had over voltage protection built in -- why would I need to add additional protection?

I would suggest using a fairly high resistance (100k)...
I thought the impedance through the comparator was already sufficiently high. (It's at least high enough to ensure that connecting this circuit in parallel to my speakers steals such a tiny fraction of the current that it doesn't audibly impact the sound quality). So why would I have to add even more current-limiting resistance?

...terminated with two back to back diodes.
If two back-to-back diodes clamps the voltage to +/-0.7V, then aren't we now allowing negative voltages? I thought we needed to protect against that...

ljmccon

Joined Nov 27, 2015
In your case, a single 5.1 V zener to GND is good for this.
I suggest you move R8 so that it makes contact directly at the node where the transistor's base and R9 make contact, and not at 393's output.

AK
and cmartinez: As I wait on my questions to marcf, I incorporated your suggestions into my schematic:

Does this look good to you, particularly as it relates to protecting my circuit from overvoltage/overcurrent/negative voltage?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
My background: My knowledge of circuits is extremely basic. I aced physics in college several years ago so that I could get into med school – then promptly dropped out of med school and forgot everything I learned. :) So, you’re gonna have to talk to me like I’m five.

The situation: I have an A/V receiver that supports an ‘A’ set of speakers (which are in my living room) and a ‘B’ set of speakers (which are outside on the patio). My receiver is hidden away in a closet, and it allows audio to output to A only, B only, or A and B simultaneously. So, just because the speakers are on inside doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not on outside, too (which, if I’m cranking the volume, is an unwitting nuisance to my neighbors). I need to be able, at a glance, to determine whether the speakers are on out on the patio without having to get up, open the door, and stick my head outside – or make a trip into my closet where the receiver is located. (I know, I’m lazy.)

What I want to do: I want to install an LED (into a wallplate in the living room) that will illuminate when the outside B speakers are on.

What I’ve tried: I found some LED current indicators that I thought might do the trick. I bought this one and this one (0.75A turn-on), strung my speaker wire through them, and tested them out. Long story short, neither worked very well. The NK Technologies inductor has a lower turn-on point, but it’s aperture is smaller, so I could only get my 12-gauge speaker wire looped through 3 times. The CR Magnetics inductor has a higher turn-on point, but it has a larger aperture; so I was able to loop the speaker wire through 5 times. The results were about the same. At high volumes, the LEDs worked pretty well (but still weren’t terribly bright) – but turn the volume down, and the LEDs stopped working. I need the LED to be solidly illuminated regardless of the volume.

My questions:

1. Am I on the right track using an inductor/LED to accomplish what I want to do, here? Any easier way of solving my problem (that of needing to be aware when my outside speakers are on)? I’m open to suggestions.

2. Is there any way to make the indicators I have already bought work in this application? (e.g. Could I use a higher-gauge speaker wire, wrap it several times around the inductor, and somehow wire it in parallel to the thicker speaker wire feeding my outdoor speakers?) Any other ideas for modifying what I’ve already bought? I’m not opposed to some modification and light soldering if someone would be so kind as to provide instructions.

3. How difficult would it be to build my own inductor/LED current indicator with a much lower turn-on point (perhaps 0.05A)? (Remember, my knowledge is way basic – but I’m handy, I’m a quick learner, and I can follow instructions; so don’t be afraid to suggest a project if you think I can handle it.)

4. General question about inductors: does the inductor attenuate the current running through the wire around which it sits? If so, I can’t imagine that would be good for sound quality -- so is it a bad idea to be using an inductor on speaker wire? Or is the effect so small as to not be noticed?​

Some (perhaps) relevant info about my receiver and speakers:

Receiver:
Pioneer VSX-1130 (100 W in 2ch; likely much less in all channels driven)
Speakers: Polk RC85i and Polk RC80i (8 ohm)​
You do NOT want to put any kind of diode (or any other non-linear device) in series with a speaker...this will create all kinds of distortion.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The circuit is seeing (barely) +5v thru R7,R6. You really need to add a (aprox) 3k pull up.

Please see the data sheet for the NTF159W and pay attention to "On Characteristics, DC Current Gain NTE159W, Note 1." Looks like you can rely on a Current Gain of 100 at 10ma, but not a Beta of 100 at 200ma continuous. Needs to be <= 300uSec with <= 2% duty cycle.
3K seems unnecessarily small, and diverts over 1 mA away from the base, reducing the saturated collector current. 10k to 100K, whatever you have. Another 47K would be fine.

Beta testing at high currents is done with a narrow pulse to reduce device heating. The same beta will be there continuously at that current, but the part might fail without some thermal management.

ak

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
EDIT: I just saw AK's suggestion for the 5.1V Zener. So, I do need that? Will that provide protection from negative voltage as well? Or should I have both the inline 1N914 and the Zener (to ground) in the circuit?
A zener conducts at its zener voltage when reverse biased. When forward biased it conducts like a regular silicon diode, so it is doing the same thing as a 914 to GND. For a circuit like this with only one power supply rail, 1 zener equal to the rail = done.

As for protection current limiting - it had been a while since I looked at the schematic, and I compounded your schematic with one in another thread there there already is a resistor in series with the input. You don't have one, and you should. My bad. Another 10K in series with C1 will limit the peak current to 8 mA at the dreaded 80 V. The impedance of C1 contributes to the current limiting, but it is only 160 ohms at 10 kHz.

ak

Last edited:

ljmccon

Joined Nov 27, 2015
For a circuit like this with only one power supply rail, 1 zener equal to the rail = done.

As for protection current limiting...
Thanks, AK! Here's the updated schematic:

One more thing: the Zener and the extra 10K resistor (R4) really affect the sensitivity of the circuit at low volumes. Remove either, and the sensitivity is much better. Is there any way to maintain a reasonable level of current/voltage protection, but improve the sensitivity?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Move the resistor so it is between C1 and the wiper of the pot, and the wiper is connected directly to the zener and U1A pin 2.

If the pot is in the middle of its range, the effective DC resistance from the wiper to GND is 7.5K. This is the shunt leg of an attenuator, with the series leg being the source impedances of the signal. Before that was about 2K for the capacitor. Now it's about 12 K with the added series resistor. So I'm not surprised that the sensitivity is cut in half or more.

How is the adjustability of the pot now? If it is sitting very close to its midpoint, then increasing R2 and R3 will reduce the input attenuation and increase the pot adjustability. Bump R2 and R3 to 47K and see if you like the result.

ak

ljmccon

Joined Nov 27, 2015
How is the adjustability of the pot now? If it is sitting very close to its midpoint, then increasing R2 and R3 will reduce the input attenuation and increase the pot adjustability. Bump R2 and R3 to 47K and see if you like the result.
Unfortunately, it wasn't that close to the midpoint. Measuring resistance from each of the outside pins to the wiper pin, I got about 5.7K vs 4K. I tried the 47K resistors, but even maxing out the pot, couldn't get the bias close to the reference. Any other ideas to increase sensitivity? Or is it going to be a trade-off between sensitivity and protecting the circuit?

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There are two ways to fix this that jump to mind. Both involve separating the audio input from the trip point adjustment input. One is based on the current circuit with the trip point around Vcc/2 and the other has the trip point near ground. Not sure if there is any advantage either way, won't know until I've drawn them.

I'm not at my schematic editor so I'll try to post later.

ak

ljmccon

Joined Nov 27, 2015
Give the last circuit I posted a try. It detects mV level signals and requires no adjustments.
I absolutely will give it a try...but I only have one breadboard and I'm so close to having this circuit dialed in, I want to finish it before pulling this spiderweb of leads out. Rest assured, before I do the final build, I'll give yours a try to compare -- I appreciate it.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Here is an updated schematic with all of the recently discussed additions. As part of the input protection, it attenuates the incoming audio approximately 12%. This should be within the range of the trip level adjustment. This circuit separates the trip level from the incoming audio to make things easier to design.

ak
Audio-LED-2-c.gif

Attachments