LED count down timer

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Dang! And I was so looking forward to Bach!

Seriously, I may post the musical section and you can use it or not as you please. It is relatively simple, 2 555's and one 4017.

For now I'll stick with the basics. I'll throw a beeper circuit in for the Sonalert.

How big are your boxes? I vaguely remember a picture somewhere, I need to look it up again.

I will post a suggested adjustable timer front panel shortly, as soon as I figure out the H" X W" you are using.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Well Bill last ones I mounted on a clipboard all 8 fit nicely. I am ok with the musical thing also but I'ts quite noisy in the kitchen so the piezos I used lst time were pretty high dbs.by the way I did pick up a etching tank with bubbler so I can do multi boards or may be all 8 on one not sure yet till I see the PCB layout! Thanks Jim ;)

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
By the way if you ever travel up north from the heat down there, dinner is on me @ Uncle Bucks BBQ. Check it out online lol ! TY Bill :p

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would like the dimensions of the PCB and the front panel of the box to work with. No hurry, I ain't getting squat done today (it's my Birthday, and I plan on enjoying it with family).

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
happy b-day Bill hope you have a great one! And PCB size I thought would depend on the circuit you are designing but it dosen't matter I'll build whatever. I used a sonoalert on each board made it easy with a single pole toggle switch for on and off. My B-day is thurs. I prob. will try to mount all 8 PCBs on a clipboard of sorts like the last ones.
Thanks, Jim ;)

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
bill by the way I picked up a new 9" laminater made by gordon a Harbor Freight cheepy (didn't want to ruin our good one) and does it work great no need to attach paper to board just make wax paper template a bit longer and fold and tape to silk screen side! no boards sticking they run right thru at approx. 300deg.:cool:

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill,
the last boards were perf. boards with pads that measured 3.25"X2.50" I didn't use any boxes for the boards I drilled a plastic clipboard and mounted all 8 boards on it. Its still up and running a year later! :D I prob. will try to do the same with this 8. Thanks

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
bill
I blinked? na I check for responces a couple times a day lol just to make sure I provided enough info. when you ask. Thanks Jim :) PS I can understand the backed up part lol you do help alot of folks!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I've spent the last couple of hours drawing, in preparation for a PCB. Here is what I've come up with so far.

The core to the design is this...

While designing it I realized adding a resistor in parallel gives the ability to calibrate this sucker. The values shown are for example, you can use what you want and the equation shown to pick your own values. You can also tweak it. It may be practical to put a variable resistor as one of the values, I'll think about it when laying out the board.

Here is the first draft of the actual circuit. Since the alarm circuit is kinda in the air I left it open...

I may redraw it later, right now I'm outta time.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I did a bit more work, it isn't finished, I need to calculate the values for R8 - R11 to make it linear. Here is where I am at at the moment.

The alternate sonalert output will beep, and the bank of LEDs will flash in time with the beep. It isn't exactly what you were looking for, but it should be very obvious visually and audibly which timer has gone off.

During timing the LED bank will be a simple bargraph.

Opps, just noticed a minor logic error I can fix it easy enough.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is a simple bargraph, compensated for the RC charge curve. If I got it right it will slowly light from bottom to top, and when timeout is achieved the entire bank will blink in time with the sonalert.

It will show roughly the elapsed time that has passed.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill
I dont get the bank of caps. C1+, C2,C8, C9 where they attach? Have you tried wiring this up and if so how did it work?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
C1 is anywhere, the others will be across the components. I haven't forgot you, but I'm finishing up another project (also a PCB). Learning some new things doing it too.

First thing I will have to do is translate the schematic into PCB Express for the net list.