LED converted monitor

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I don't let anything go to waste...

Bought this 15" monitor for £10; fault description no backlight. Faulty inverter or CCFLs. Tossed both parts out, installed LED strip (cost £5, plus I had another 30 cm left...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETL8q5nq1ro

Annoying how manufacturers charge so much more for LED backlights when they probably cost less overall...

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Awesome!! U used the input voltage that was driving the inverter I guess? What are common voltages there?
I plan to eventually run it straight off the 18V which is provided by a power brick capable of at least 2A. The LEDs draw a modest 250mA at 12V, provided by my bench power supply. I'll use a simple resistor to drop the volts down. If I was very bothered about efficiency, I would build one of my buck converter drivers, but I wanted it done quick. ;)

I attach a pic of it working with VGA input; perfectly usable as a display. I was worried that it wouldn't be bright enough but it is. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Nice. I've got to start looking for those easy fix deals. I imagine you'll want to revisit your color adjustments on the LCD after the LEDs have settled down from their burn-in period.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Nice. I've got to start looking for those easy fix deals. I imagine you'll want to revisit your color adjustments on the LCD after the LEDs have settled down from their burn-in period.
If anything, LEDs keep constant brightness and colour, and CCFLs drift.

I did a burn-in test for 6 hours; LEDs are barely warm even inside the monitor.

I reset the monitor to factory settings, it looks even better.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Okay! The conversion is complete!

Assembly is all that remains... How many screws will be missing!? I tried to keep them in one place...

The circuit for the MOSFET on/off is really simple, and is attached.

I used an IRF510 because I had it on hand, if I were properly designing this I would order the right MOSFET. But the current is low enough that the MOSFET does not heat much.

I used a MOSFET because I'm not entirely sure that switch would be happy passing 280mA as at present, it just controls a MOSFET on the main board.

See the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vevU_Fm6ap0

Attachments