LED Bluetooth Device

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by z0oinks, Feb 12, 2013.

1. z0oinks

Thread Starter Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Hello,
    I was wondering if it would be somehow possible to make a small bluetooth device with one LED that would blink whenever I got a notification on my iPhone. Would this be possible?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. New threads are also automatically moderated per Moderator review for this reason. Your thread does not belong in this forum, and was moved here.

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It would be much easier on Android, but I'd imagine Apple would let you do something creative with one of their products....:rolleyes:

I have an Android phone that I had control a small robot over a small Bluetooth module. The hardest part would probably be programming the iPhone to notify the device. You would also probably need something to decode the UART(if using the same module).

I haven't done any iPhone programming, but it seems like this should be possible.

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    You can't just jump in and start programming for free on Apple the way you can with Droid. Fees for development environment, fees for documentation, etc.

My Razr already has a light that blinks yellow when I get a text message, green on phone call, blue on missed phone call, red for low battery, etc. The "Blink" app is a cool download, you can set the blink speed and color for just about every system event.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Oh man, really!? I had no idea Apple screwed the user over on every front. I thought it was just for those that had no idea what they were doing...:rolleyes:

Well, unless the OP decides his LED blinking is worth a chunk of change, this is where this project dies:(...

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Now you understand why the Apple App store doesn't have any "Free" apps that are fully functional.

Droid marketplace is mostly free apps, because the development environment and simulator are free downloads, as well as the documentation. (Linux type OS)

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I've always disliked Apple's motto of, "You look cool if you use our products, but don't expect to use them to their full extent!" In effect, I've never had an Apple device. People around me have, so I've more exposure than otherwise.

I like Android. I've made a few apps (some that are in progress(and have been for a couple years:)). Droid marketplace, er, Google Play, only charges the developer for getting an account to release under and, I assume, the individual releases.

Solutions are: Buy a $70 Apple product that simply flashes an LED, or another phone...:)

8. z0oinks

Thread Starter Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Bill_Marsen: Whoops! I was looking around the forum and couldn't find where to go so I just went to my other thread and went to the same section it was in not realizing it had move to Completed

To everyone else, I wasn't planning on selling this on this app store. This would solely be for recreational use. Plus, my phone is jailbroken and this tweak came out that allows notifications to be sent to bluetooth devices (specifically stated: the Pebble watch, but I'm guessing it doesn't only work with this) over MAP and this popped idea popped into my head. The tweak is called "BTNotificationEnabler" if anyone wants to check it out.

9. z0oinks

Thread Starter Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Is anyone there?

10. z0oinks

Thread Starter Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Okay, scrap this

11. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Sorry, dude, it looks like your iPhone is the limiting factor(not that that's surprising)...